Ps2

Started by
21 comments, last by methinks 18 years, 7 months ago
I am interested in making a game (Private use among me and friends). But I don't want any of my friends to have to buy a mod chip or use the disk swapping meathod. So could anyone tell me how the ps2 tells the difference between it's pressed cd and my CD that has my game on it or give me a trick to fool the ps2 (modifying the cd not the system)? Thankyou for any help you can provide
Advertisement
Anyone?
PS2 games are pressed with disk errors at the beginning acting as copy protection. There is no way to replicate this with a burner. The only option is a mod-chip and/or swap disk.
Don't the PS2 Linux kits allow you to make games that you could then burn to a disc and give to other people with the PS2 Linux kit?

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

So it is the disk errors at the beggining of the disk that the ps2 looks for to see if it was pressed? Would it be possible to read these errors with a specialy developed program? I assume that since you can't replicate this, DVD-Rs have something at the begginning already? Using a boot disk or modchip is too dangerous and is sure to invalidate my ps2 warrenty, so do I have any other options to play a game I mad on the ps2?

[Edited by - Black Shadow on August 31, 2005 8:40:23 PM]
Any idea if these pressed errors also apply to the XBox?
Trust me , if it could have been done it WOULD have been done already. You arnt going to be able to make anything for the PS2 you couldent make for the PS1 anyways. There are swap tricks and AR mods for the PS1, use that, and make it PS. Otherwise im assuming you want to make copys of PS2 games.
Even if I can't I still want to know how it works. If nobody wants to tell me can they at least give me a site where I can find out EXACTLY how this works? (I spent 6 hours looking for the answer on google yesterday so PLEASE HELP ME!!!)
There are 6-9 bad sectors burnt onto the disk, to my knowledge this is done by the laser burning hotter over those sectors. This is something that is hardware locked on the CD burners itself. Technicaly you could probably adjust a CD burner to replicate it. It would take millions of tries, and plenty of adjustments, and the technical knowhow that I just dont know to make those adjustments. Go ahead and try if you want. You will probably go through about 10 cd burners in the process, and have to write custom software to handle it.
Your DVD drive can pick this up the same way a ps2 can (correct me if I am wrong). So if I were to make a program that would read raw data from the disk and I knew what to look for I could see what the errors look like making it easier to imitate right? Also if anyone knows of a website where I can look this stuff up instead of burdening you with this please post it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement