Win API: Bitmaps

Started by
17 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 7 months ago
I want to create a bitmap in photoshop and use it for my application as the background. How can I load a bitmap and display it using the windows API. An explanation or a link to one would be great. I already tried looking through MSDN but I couldnt find it.
Advertisement
Essentially, the process will be that you load the bitmap (LoadBitmap), create a memory-DC (GetDC on the window, then CreateCompatibleDC), select the bitmap into the memory-DC (SelectObject), then copy from the memory-dc to the window-dc (BitBlt or StretchBlt).
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
How can I manually add a bitmap to a rc file because Im not using the IDE's resource editor and if i do it will screw up all the other resources.
mybitmapname BITMAP bmpfilepath.bmp
{[JohnE, Chief Architect and Senior Programmer, Twilight Dragon Media{[+++{GCC/MinGW}+++{Code::Blocks IDE}+++{wxWidgets Cross-Platform Native UI Framework}+++
yea right after i posted i went DUH! lol so ive got that, and ive gotten to the last function call. Im a bit confused on what the destination dc and what the source dc are.

What I have so far:
HANDLE hmainbg = LoadBitmap(hmaininstance,"test.bmp");HDC hmaindc = GetDC(hmainwnd);CreatCompatibleDC(hmaindc);SelectObject(hmaindc,hmainbg);

Confusing Prototype:
BOOL BitBlt(  HDC hdcDest, // handle to destination DC  int nXDest,  // x-coord of destination upper-left corner  int nYDest,  // y-coord of destination upper-left corner  int nWidth,  // width of destination rectangle  int nHeight, // height of destination rectangle  HDC hdcSrc,  // handle to source DC  int nXSrc,   // x-coordinate of source upper-left corner  int nYSrc,   // y-coordinate of source upper-left corner  DWORD dwRop  // raster operation code);
The source DC is the DC that contains the bitmap and the destination DC is the DC that you are going to paint to. Here is an example:

// Add this to your dialog's window procedure - it will be called when the// dialog needs to be repaintedcase WM_PAINT: {  PAINTSTRUCT ps;  // hmaindc will be the DC of your window  HDC hmaindc = BegainPaint(hwnd, &ps);    // hmemorydc will hold hmainbg so that we can paint it to the window    HDC hmemorydc = CreateCompatibleDC(hmaindc);    // Of course we have to load the bitmap itself    HBITMAP hmainbg = LoadBitmap(hmaininstance, "test.bmp");    // When we select hmainbg into hmemorydc we must hold the original    // bitmap (which is returned) so that we can return the DC to its original    // state before we delete it    HBITMAP holdbmp = (HBITMAP)SelectObject(hmemorydc, hmainbg);    // Before we draw the bitmap, let's get some information about it    // This includes its width and height    BITMAP bmpinfo;    GetObject(hmainbg, sizeof(bmpinfo), &bmpinfo);    // Now we can draw hmainbg to the window using BitBlt()    BitBlt(hmaindc, 0, 0, bmpinfo.bmWidth, bmpinfo.bmHeight,           hmemorydc, 0, 0, SRCCOPY);    // Now the painting is done so we begin to clean up    // First selelect the original bitmap into the memory DC    SelectObject(hmemorydc, holdbmp);    // Now delete the bitmap    DeleteObject(hmainbg);    // And then the memory DC    DeleteDC(hmemorydc);  // And finally, end the painting process  EndPaint(hwnd, &ps);  break;}
If you're loading the bitmap from a resource file, HANDLE hmainbg = LoadBitmap(hmaininstance,"test.bmp"); is incorrect. You only specify the file name if you're loading from a file. Otherwise, you have to use some macro (MAKEINTORESOURCE or MAKEINTRESOURCE or something like that)
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
This is what I have so far, no success.

HBITMAP hmainbg = LoadBitmap(hmaininstance,"test.bmp");		HDC hmaindc = GetDC(hmainwnd);		HDC hmemdc = CreateCompatibleDC(hmaindc);		HBITMAP holdbmp = (HBITMAP)SelectObject(hmemdc,hmainbg);		BitBlt(hmemdc,0,0,325,300,hmaindc,0,0,SRCCOPY);		SelectObject(hmemdc, holdbmp);		DeleteObject(hmainbg);	        DeleteDC(hmemdc);
i have no clue if this will work..but here it goes

load the bitmap into the resource file
or have it available to be opened as a file

in the callback for messages put this in there

switch(msg){

...code in there already....

case WM_ERASEBKGND:
HBITMAP bmp=LoadBitmap(hinst,MAKEINTRESORCE(resource id for bitmap));
HDC hDCbg=(HDC)wParam;
RECT rc;
GetClientRect(hwnd,&rc);
HDC hdctemp=CreateCompatibleDC(hDCbg);
SelectObject(hdctemp,bmp);
BitBlt(hDCbg,rc.top,rc.left,rc.bottom-rc.top,rc.right-rc.left,hdctemp,0,0,SRCPAINT);

DeleteObject(hdctemp);
DeleteObject(bmp);
return 0;

that should work...some of the functions may be mixed up, but that is supposed to reapaint the background with a bitmap

to use a file and not a resource use
HBITMAP bmp=LoadBitmap(hinst,"c:/filename.bmp");

by the way..anybody know how to use the wave api to record?...
off topic i know

the WM_ERASEBKGROUND message is made for drawing the background
wparam is the hdc, beats haveing to fool with WM_PAINT and possibly replacing the entire window with your bitmap, after all you said background
WM_PAINT is to draw the entire window ( even the box, menu, everything)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement