Sign in to follow this  

Computer Science Major

This topic is 4490 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In all honesty, I guess my post really isn't about majoring in computer science, but I need to ask a question and this is the only forum I already knew about that seemed appropriate enough for my subject. So anyway, I'm going to be majoring in computer science next year. In order to be better prepared for doing that, I'm taking a college course in calculus I this fall semester. I believe my teacher said that all credits at this college must have 50 minutes of class time spent on them per week. Since I am only required to get around 30 credits per year for a computer science major, it would follow that I will have only 1500 minutes of class time per week, or about 3 and 1/2 hours per day. My only thoughts on this are, ?????? I assumed that class-time in college would be about the same as it is in high school. Is this really how it is at college? Am I missing or neglecting something?

In undergrad I think I probably spent about half of the time in class than I did in high school. Of course, I spent more time on homework, studying and projects than in high school, so it balanced out a bit.

Yup 3.5 hours sounds about right. There were even some semesters where I did some schedule-ninjaing, piled all my courses onto monday, wednesday and friday, and had tuesday & thursday off. That was pretty sweet.

But you make up for it with the time spend reading, studying, or doing assignments. Your teachers will probably give you roughly 2-3 hours of homework to do, per day, per class. Mostly reading.

Of course, whether you decide to actually read, or just briefly skim, is up to you :)

This topic is 4490 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.