My tutorials are about 90% done, need your input.

Started by
7 comments, last by Lazy Foo 18 years, 7 months ago
You may have seen them before as I shamelessly spam them on the boards =P: Lazy Foo's SDL tutorials The only full tutorial that has yet to be completed is the bitmap font tutorial (tutorial 23), which I am going to try to have finished by the end of labor day. I need your input on 3 things. 1) Currently my tutorials on how to set up SDL and how to use SDL extensions only covers Dev C++ on windows. After tutorial 23 is completed I want to expand these tutorials to cover more compilers/IDEs. Which other compilers/IDEs should I cover? This is what I currently have planned so far (its not much): Windows: Code Blocks MS Visual C++ 6.0 (yes people still use it) MS Visual C++.NET Linux: g++ command line Mac OS X: g++ command line My experience with Linux and Mac OS X is minimal, but I do have access to machines that use them thanks to my school. 2) I've tried to at least touch the most important concepts of making games with SDL (Except OpenGL because my experience with it is limited), is there any other tutorials I should make? 3) Now that I've read some of my tutorials over, I decided to make some revisions. These are the revisions I have planned so far: Lesson 2 - Surface Loading and Blitting: show better examples of the coordinate system, and blitting multiple surfaces. Lesson 5 - Color Keying: better show use of SDL_MapRGB. Lesson 13 - Collision Detection: Use references instead of pointers in collision detection function. Lesson 21 - Mouse Events: Better show how to check which mouse button was pressed. Lesson 22 - Joysticks: Better show how to check which joystick is being polled. anybody else have any suggestions for revisions? Thanks in advance for your input. [Edited by - Lazy Foo on August 9, 2007 7:51:41 PM]

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

Advertisement
Oh wow, neato. Well I won't have time until Friday to take a full look at your tutorials as well as what else you have posted, but I sure will! So keep up the good work and I'll give you feedback this weekend (yay for Monday holliday!). Ok just letting you know so you don't get discouraged [wink] Will some of the tutorials that are not yet finished will be anytime soon?
Quote:Original post by Drew_Benton
Will some of the tutorials that are not yet finished will be anytime soon?

The only one that isn't finished is tutorial 23, and I've already started work on it. I'm going to try to finish it monday but my schedule this week is kind of hectic so I'm not promising anything.

I said 1 and 3 aren't finished because I want to add more to them. If all you care about is setting up SDL in Dev C++ then they're complete. But I want to have at least the major compilers/IDEs on there.

Unfortunately since I can't install Linux on this POS and I don't have a Mac, I can't work on any of the *nix tutorials unless I'm at school (On monday and thursday nights).

Amazing, simpy amazing. keep up the good work. Perhaps you can get added to the FAQ, if not already.
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
I've finally got your tutorial 17 (sprite animation) compiled under vs .net 2003 (it took some adjustment since the code was originally built under Dev C++). It didn't take me long to figure out that "SDL_image.h" was not part of the official SDL download package. :(

Anyway, it would be nice if you could provide all the tutorials in one download package. Also, it would be nice to have the tutorials in one signal .chm (help file format). That way, it would make it easier to quickly lookup info via help's search and index feature.

Any plans to put together a 2D game engine wrapper from what you have now?
Quote:Original post by jclins
Anyway, it would be nice if you could provide all the tutorials in one download package.

I probably won't be doing that because of bandwidth issues, and the fact that it's a pain in the ass having to update a big package of data when I fix a typo or any other small change in one tutorial.

Any plans to put together a 2D game engine wrapper from what you have now?

Nope. After the tutorials are finished I plan to continue my study of OpenGL.

Quote:Original post by Lazy Foo
Anyway, it would be nice if you could provide all the tutorials in one download package.

I probably won't be doing that because of bandwidth issues, and the fact that it's a pain in the ass having to update a big package of data when I fix a typo or any other small change in one tutorial.

I think I see from jclins's post a point of being easily able to get tutorials without having to do so much clicking and scrolling. Perhaps you can modify your site to easily allow downloading code on the tutorial pages that show a description and image. Anyways, your call, I'd vote against the entire package thing though as well.

Oh and I just randomly saw this at the bottom of lesson 4
Quote:Now we do the end of the program clean up and end the program.
I think I see from jclins's post a point of being easily able to get tutorials without having to do so much clicking and scrolling. Perhaps you can modify your site to easily allow downloading code on the tutorial pages that show a description and image. Anyways, your call, I'd vote against the entire package thing though as well.

I could put an example source code index page. I'll look into it when I put the finishing touches on the tutorials.

Oh and I just randomly saw this at the bottom of lesson 4
Quote:Now we do the end of the program clean up and end the program.

Oop. Fixed.

I have to admit these tutorials are rushed. Expect more than a few typos.

Oh and I'm happy to say the source to the bitmap font tutorial is finished. I'm 99% sure I'll be able to finish the tutorial for it by labor day, probably before then.

I'd finish it today but I am beat. Not to mention that this computer has crashed of me at least 6 times today. [flaming]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement