Sign in to follow this  
BlackThirteen

Line Tool issue (Photoshop 7)

Hello. I'm a pixel artist for 2D games. I'm really used to create "low color" pixel graphics with Jasc Paint Shop 7 but my new contractor (for a cell game) obligates me to use Adobe Photoshop 7. I face major issues that make me uneasy with PS7. My first issue is with the Line Tool which produces irregular lines instead of accurate algorithm lines... I really need these lines to be precise so I can go on with my work. Is there any way I can fix that problem? Is my program buggy? Click Here too see an example showing my problem. I would really appreciate your help!

instead of using the "Line Tool" try to use the "Pencil Tool" with a 1 pixel brush, then hold shift and click, it'll make a 1 pixel clean line. I don't have PS7 i have PS CS on my laptop, but its worth a try.

Here's a tutorial on creating lines pixel by pixel, if that's where you need to end up going. It might be worth to make a library of clean lines at angles like 30, 45, and 60 degrees that you can then use over and over.

http://www.19.5degs.com/element/833.php#b1

Lot's of other great advice on making 2d art in there too.

Scott

Quote:
Original post by kryat
instead of using the "Line Tool" try to use the "Pencil Tool" with a 1 pixel brush, then hold shift and click, it'll make a 1 pixel clean line. I don't have PS7 i have PS CS on my laptop, but its worth a try.

Indeed, the pencil tool generally creates much "cleaner" aliased edges than the line tool. Not quite sure why..

Quote:
Indeed, the pencil tool generally creates much "cleaner" aliased edges than the line tool. Not quite sure why..

It has to do with the anti-aliasing setting on the line tool.
You can uncheck that if you want the line to be "cleaner".

[Edited by - Abzence on September 2, 2005 1:42:30 AM]

Abz, that completely defeats the purpose of the OP's point; he's not looking for anti-aliased lines, he's working with psuedo-low color mode sprites and thus needs clean hard edges with his pixels.

Yes, I know that. I just tried to clarify why the line-tool acts as it does. Not saying that he should use it.

Quote:
...Not quite sure why..

Besides I'm telling him to UNCHECK the anti-aliasing. Not to use it.