Sign in to follow this  

Line Tool issue (Photoshop 7)

This topic is 4485 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. I'm a pixel artist for 2D games. I'm really used to create "low color" pixel graphics with Jasc Paint Shop 7 but my new contractor (for a cell game) obligates me to use Adobe Photoshop 7. I face major issues that make me uneasy with PS7. My first issue is with the Line Tool which produces irregular lines instead of accurate algorithm lines... I really need these lines to be precise so I can go on with my work. Is there any way I can fix that problem? Is my program buggy? Click Here too see an example showing my problem. I would really appreciate your help!

instead of using the "Line Tool" try to use the "Pencil Tool" with a 1 pixel brush, then hold shift and click, it'll make a 1 pixel clean line. I don't have PS7 i have PS CS on my laptop, but its worth a try.

Here's a tutorial on creating lines pixel by pixel, if that's where you need to end up going. It might be worth to make a library of clean lines at angles like 30, 45, and 60 degrees that you can then use over and over.

http://www.19.5degs.com/element/833.php#b1

Lot's of other great advice on making 2d art in there too.

Scott

Quote:
Original post by kryat
instead of using the "Line Tool" try to use the "Pencil Tool" with a 1 pixel brush, then hold shift and click, it'll make a 1 pixel clean line. I don't have PS7 i have PS CS on my laptop, but its worth a try.

Indeed, the pencil tool generally creates much "cleaner" aliased edges than the line tool. Not quite sure why..

Quote:
Indeed, the pencil tool generally creates much "cleaner" aliased edges than the line tool. Not quite sure why..

It has to do with the anti-aliasing setting on the line tool.
You can uncheck that if you want the line to be "cleaner".

[Edited by - Abzence on September 2, 2005 1:42:30 AM]

Abz, that completely defeats the purpose of the OP's point; he's not looking for anti-aliased lines, he's working with psuedo-low color mode sprites and thus needs clean hard edges with his pixels.

Yes, I know that. I just tried to clarify why the line-tool acts as it does. Not saying that he should use it.

Quote:
...Not quite sure why..

Besides I'm telling him to UNCHECK the anti-aliasing. Not to use it.

This topic is 4485 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.