Sign in to follow this  
kovacsp

Preserve the contents of a DX window in the background without redrawing

Hi, I have a window rendered with DX, and another one that moves over it. I don't want the contents of the back window to change. But if I simply don't render anything, the upper, moving window will leave its "trace" on the area of the back window. Since fully rendering the back windows takes some time time, I wanna swith it off. What I can do is saving the last rendered screen to a texture, and then render it to a fullscreen quad which take way less time. My question is: is there a simpler way to achieve this? Maybe some flag I don't know about, which forces directx to refresh the window with the last backbuffer? Thanks for your help, kp

I'd guess that when you use a COPY-swapeffect, everytime you call Present you'll get precisely the same output because copy preserves the backbuffers.

From the docs:
"Whether the swap chain is windowed or full-screen, the runtime will guarantee the semantics implied by a copy-based Present operation, namely that the operation leaves the content of the back buffer unchanged, instead of replacing it with the content of the front buffer as a flip-based Present operation would."

Of course, it's not optimal to use COPY as swap-effect. And if you want multisampling, COPY is no choice anyway.

Regards,
Andre

Hi,

thank you very much, it really works!
now I wonder why is this solution incompatible with multisampling.. if I switch it on, the CreateDevice fails saying it needs DISCARD. But it does not tell why.. neither the documentation.
Do I have to code the previously mentioned solution when I use multisampling?

kp