Visual C++

Started by
8 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 7 months ago
I have been told that visual C++ is not a good choice for game programming is this true or false? If not what would be a better compiler/Debugger? (I currently use visual C++ and have used DevC++)
Advertisement
False. Probably the best you'll get.
Domine non secundum peccata nostra facias nobis
In every book i read they recomend MS VC++ as it's the fastest one around.
So definitely false ;)
The latest MSVS c++ compiler (2003) is pretty much the best opyimizer around (except possible the Intel compiler). The IDE is unarguably the best, in terms of features at least.
Sean Henley [C++ Tutor]Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
thanks for clearin that up XD
heh no one mentioned the MSVC debugging capabilities , which are probably the best around.
Yeah MSVC all the way! Got 2003 from uni, its brilliant (although it doesnt make you a better coder:( )
Quote:Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!
Perhaps what they meant was Visual C++ 6.

Versions of it <=6 were made before the ISO standard and as such don't support much of the language and have weird non-standard libraries.

The nestest versions, however, are quite good. Note that you can download the compiler free.
Quote:Original post by me22
The nestest versions, however, are quite good. Note that you can download the compiler free.

...and integrate VC toolkit 2003 with the CodeBlocks IDE for example...

Quote:Original post by DMINATOR
heh no one mentioned the MSVC debugging capabilities , which are probably the best around.

????? I'm sorry but Visual Studio has a ,IMHO, a miserable debugger. It works ok for the most casual operations like displaying the values of variables, but it has no effective inspectors for the basic C++ types, next to no support for C++ breakpoints on class methods (examples: no break on virtual methods across classes, no break on a method in a particular object, etc...), conditional breakpoints are extremely limited, break on memory location is slow and seldom works, performance dives for applications of any noticable size, and the list goes on.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement