Need Help On Picking The Right Language

Started by
17 comments, last by Codemonger 18 years, 7 months ago
I am majorly thinking about ease of use and development time FOR Game Programming...Can someone give me a few examples or info about this languages: Well C++ is basicly out of the window lol (for ease of use and development time since that is the one all the other languages are fighting againts) 1-Java 2-Delphi 3-Visual Basic (Any Version) 4-Python 5-C# How does this languages help on making 2D and 3D games faster? IF im missing some that you think might be good please tell me. Thanx alot [Edited by - 2DExtremeOwner on August 31, 2005 7:33:05 AM]
Advertisement
Any of those would do the job for you (Apart from olf versions of Visual Basic, and I wouldn't even recommend .Net, myself). The only language in that list I've not had any experience with as yet is Delphi, but I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Basically, try them all out; most of the languages on that list have implementations available at no cost, so you'll have nothing to lose. If you've never programmed before then I'd recommend Python, and if you have a little experience then maybe Java or C# might be wise, but ultimately just use the one that 'feels' right.
The speed doens't really depend on the language that you pick.

It has everything to do with how you program. The methods, how you solve the tasks you have to do.

And, if you're at the stage of asking what language to learn, you won't have to worry about speed for a loooong time. For the next 3-6 months, you'll be learning how to program (think like a programmer to solve problems).
[size="2"][size=2]Mort, Duke of Sto Helit: NON TIMETIS MESSOR -- Don't Fear The Reaper
Try FreeBASIC

Http://Freebasic.net

Most C libs(OpenGL, DX, SDL, etc) are supported.

Here's a 2d game I'm developing:

http://rel.betterwebber.com/index.php?action=contents&item=Space+Impakto

An OpenGL demo (Using SDL for windowing so you may need to DL sdl)

http://rel.betterwebber.com/junk.php?id=47

Enjoy!
Hi.
Yeah but i also remember reading some article as how Java saves 30% of time to make the samething as C++.So i was wondering if any of the other have some articles on cutting development time and what have been some of your experiences.

Speed of how a program runs is not my concern but the speed it takes to make it.

Keep replying XD and thanx alot
Speed of development is pretty much proportional to the "level" of the language (high or low). It goes pretty much like this:

:Binary (Low)
:Assembly
:C
:C++
:Java ad C#
:Python (High)

I don't know about the other languages you listed but Python is very high level. This means you have to deal less with things like memory and implementation details. Meaning you can start programming your games right away. Python also comes with a huge standard library and add-on libs.

So I reccommend Python.
*Ahem* You really shouldn't be worrying about this. Those cuts in development time you refer to are for experienced developers in the language, which you are not.

You should be picking something which is easy and intuitive to learn and which won't teach bad habits. Python meets this requirement, and as an added bonus will let you make simpler sort of games quite soon comparitively to other languages.

Once you've learned to program well with one language you will then very easily be able to pick up most others.

I recommend you learn Python and then move on to C# when Python becomes limiting to you.

Oh, and stay away from BASIC variants - they're great for rapid application development, but they aren't really suited for games. You can make games with them, but they're too prone to teaching bad habits.

If you really want to develop fast, you could look into appropriate authoring tools for the type of game you want to make, you can't really get faster and more user-friendly development than with those things, and if they suit your design you can potentially make some very good games with them.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Yes im using BYOND also which is very nice,was also trying C++ but its a huge language o.o so...

Ok So Python will give me the best productivity of them all for game design?
Just pick one and go with it. Don't agonise over the decision. You can always learn another language afterwards.
I wrote my game X-hex in Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise Edition.

link to the game and screenshots (it's free for download):

http://codemonger.com/Default.asp?Page=Projects

So assuming people may thing VB worst language to write games in, I would make the argument that really it all depends on the power of the programmer. Use a language you feel comfortable enough to program in, and that you can get the job done in time, which is IMHO a lot more satisfying.
-------------Become part of developing the specifications of a new language. Visit CodeBASIC.org

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement