Sign in to follow this  
capone888

Visual C++ Vs. C++?

Visual C++ is Microsoft's C++ compiler plus an advanced IDE and debugger. So one is a toolset (Visual C++) and the other is the language the toolset is designed to work with (C++).

Cheers,
Twilight Dragon

C++ is the language.

Visial C++ is the IDE (Integrate Developement Envrinment) that Microsoft created for developing C++ in.

ace

C++ is the name of a programming language. Visual C++ is the name of one program that you can use to write programs in C++. Visual C++ is called a C++ compiler or development environment. Other C++ compilers include gcc, Comeau C++, and Metrowerks C++.

Wow - thanks for the very quick responses.

I wanted to learn some basic C++ just to satisfy my own interest. I have a book already "Sams Teach Yourself Visual C++ 6 in 21 Days". I have Microsoft's Visual Studio 6, so I believe this is all I need to get started. Could anyone comment on this book that may have used it? I am a beginner, but have basic knowledge of C - now I just want to learn more about OOP.

Also, am I wasting my time learning C++ 6, since I am beginning, should I go right in to C++ for .NET? My hope one day would to be able to create a space invader clone on my very own. I know alot of game libraries today are already written in C++ 6 and that may be why alot of people still use it. But since I am new - should I begin with .NET?

Please go easy on me, I am new to all of this? Thanks for your time.

As said above, VC++ is a program. The book teaches you how to use that program. You need a C++ book. A decent C++ book will not get into whether you are using Visual Studio, g++, or whatever. It will focus on the programming language itself. It may give some help on your compiler, either a little in the beginning or in an appendix but the focus of the book will be C++. I recommend purchasing "Accelerated C++". It will show you just how different C and C++ are. You can use C++ as a better version of C++ with a few added features, but you do yourself a diservice by doing so.

Quote:
Original post by capone888

Also, am I wasting my time learning C++ 6, since I am beginning, should I go right in to C++ for .NET? My hope one day would to be able to create a space invader clone on my very own. I know alot of game libraries today are already written in C++ 6 and that may be why alot of people still use it. But since I am new - should I begin with .NET?

There's very little difference between the two. There are a few little things (in 6, a for loop variable is declared outside the scope of the loop, and 6's support for templates is a lot less advanced), but they are pretty much the same thing. Just learn off of what you have.