Sign in to follow this  

Exporting with Maya

This topic is 4488 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone have a WORKING maya exporter .. or a way to NOT use effect files to export our meshes with maya? or even a convertor from Maya to Milkshape where I can then texutre in there and Export my meshes. Because milkshape .. works like a charm but most of my models are in maya ;| thanks guys AND NO .. THE DX9 AUGUST 2005 SDK Exporter .. DOES NOT WORK! .. thanks

I haven't tried this but what about the OBJ format? I believe Maya comes with an OBJ exporter built in (load it in the plug-ins menu) and I'm pretty sure Milkshape can read that format.

Quote:
Original post by k00k
AND NO .. THE DX9 AUGUST 2005 SDK Exporter .. DOES NOT WORK! .. thanks

Uh huh. And nobody at Microsoft, or Alias, or any of the people who use it, happened to notice that it didn't work?

Quote:
Uh huh. And nobody at Microsoft, or Alias, or any of the people who use it, happened to notice that it didn't work?

As far as i know the .x exporter from microsoft for maya never worked properly :( .

@poster:
The only thing i can recommend you is writing your own exporter+fileformat..
it isn't as hard as it sounds robert bateman has excellent tutorials on his homepage and even a simple exporter which writes all maya nodes to a textfile...ok it takes some time to get it working but the simple stuff(vertex position) are quite easy to export. So if you've got time or are totally desperate write your own exporter.

regards,
m4gnus

obviosuly they didnt because there wonderful exporter also doesnt even insert the effect instance into the .x file which is the filename of the shader file your using .. also maya requires the effect files to use SAS 1.1.0 effect anotation. which is hardly even used at the moment because its so new.

At work we have used the Maya exporter from Microsoft as well as Okino's. We have actually reverted to using the Microsoft exporter 100% of the time now since the June release, as it works just great. Obviously the only drawback being if you want the maya native material values.. as the exporter isn't built that way and you have to use the MS material system.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Have a look at Collada from Sony:

http://www.collada.org/public_forum/welcome.php

Not fully there yet, but I'm planning on using it exclusively from now on so I can just build the pre-processing tools and not worry about writing *another bloody exporter* everytime I start a new project / switch companies / the artists decide they want to use a different package etc.

Does that help?

Guest Anonymous Poster
The DXSDK automatically installs the exporter for you.
All you have to do is turn on the plugin in Maya.

But sometimes maya can act funny and wont recognize up the loading file in
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Alias Shared\Modules\Maya\6.5"

Also if you ever manually installed (or .bat installed) an old version of the exporter you might be having a DLL or MEL script file collision.
You might want to search your computer for file with the same name as the ones in
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK (October 2005)\Utilities\Bin\PlugIns\Maya\binary65"

BTW the August release the exporter adds support for maya material...
It plugs the data into the D3DXMATERIAL.
and D3DXEffectInstances only exist when you use the DirectX Shader Materials

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Saruman
At work we have used the Maya exporter from Microsoft as well as Okino's. We have actually reverted to using the Microsoft exporter 100% of the time now since the June release, as it works just great. Obviously the only drawback being if you want the maya native material values.. as the exporter isn't built that way and you have to use the MS material system.

then mabey you know why when i export and run in my engine i get BaseClone mesh errors. im doing a normal load of the x file with the sample framework and doing an effect pass over the mesh as i render it as you normally would. nothing fancy .. thanks for your response

Guest Anonymous Poster
BaseClone? do you mean managedDx BaseMesh.Clone?

Have you tried verifying the file in DxViewer?
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK (August 2005)\Utilities\Bin\x86\dxviewer.exe"

Have you tried turning on the debug spew and see what D3DX tells you?
go to your control panel
*turn on the debug runtime
*turn up the debug output level
*Go to the Managed Tab and turn on debugging on the proper DLLs

then in your project properties in Visual Studios
make sure the perperty in the debugging settings "Enable Unmanaged Debugging" is true

Hi k00k

I also had the same problem you are having with Maya Exporter (I'm supposing you are working with Maya 6.0). I tried every one I could find, and I finally managed to put it to work. First, I got DirectX SDK Summer 2004 and extracted D3DMaya6ExportX.mll from it, but I had an error with dxcc.dll. So, I kept trying until I found a suitable dxcc.dll in DirectX SDK June 2005 and pasted it in <drive>/Program Files/x86.

Now everything is working just fine... =D

Hope that works... =)

This topic is 4488 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.