Sign in to follow this  

Mobil game for cell phone

This topic is 4488 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am researching how to create a game for my cell phone and have decided to create it as a Mobil Web Application using ASP.NET. The game I wanted to create is blackjack. My questions are these: 1. Is this the best tool ( or at least an acceptable tool ) for creating this type of application? 2. How would I get the finished game ( thinking optimistically here ) onto my cell phone? 3. Although I like to give my stuff away, are there any opportunities for collecting a fee of some kind? 4. Are there any good links to resources on this subject matter? I already have a pretty good list that I've gone through, but it couldn't hurt to ask :) Thanks.

Quote:
Original post by vinb
I am researching how to create a game for my cell phone and have decided to create it as a Mobil Web Application using ASP.NET. The game I wanted to create is blackjack. My questions are these:

1. Is this the best tool ( or at least an acceptable tool ) for creating this type of application?

This is totally not workable. Your only real sane option is J2ME (Java); unless you have lots of money, in which case you could also look at BREW (C++) or Symbian OS (C++) development.

Quote:
2. How would I get the finished game ( thinking optimistically here ) onto my cell phone?

See, that's why ASP.NET isn't any use for you :) Well... if it's a web application then you're likely to need both client and server, so you could have the server running on a desktop PC done in whatever you like, and just write the client in J2ME.

For J2ME apps you can normally upload the prepared .jar and .jad files to the phone via IR link or Bluetooth (or a phone-specific data cable - not all phones support all options), and install it from there. Typically the received files show up as incoming messages.

Quote:
3. Although I like to give my stuff away, are there any opportunities for collecting a fee of some kind?

Get a publisher. Probably impossible solo, though. You might also consider submitting your program to a web portal like Handango, or going the shareware route.

Quote:
4. Are there any good links to resources on this subject matter? I already have a pretty good list that I've gone through, but it couldn't hurt to ask :)

Try the "Consoles, Cell Phones and PDAs" forum here.

Thanks.[/quote]

That kind of stinks about not being able to use ASP.NET since I already own a copy of Visual Studio. Oh well. So is it the J2ME Wireless Toolkit that I need? Do I need JBuilder or can I use any text editor?

This topic is 4488 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.