Eclipse won't work...

Started by
18 comments, last by dxFoo 18 years, 7 months ago
I finally want to check out Eclipse since a billion programmers told me to do so. So, I downloaded the big file (latest version), and I try to execute the .exe file. Error Message: JVM Launcher: Error: Could not find Java 2 Runtime Environment. An additional message reads: JVM terminated. Exit code=2 C:\WINDOWS\system32\javaw.exe -Xms40m -Xms256m -jar C:\eclipse\startup.jar -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86 -launcher C:\eclipse\eclipse.exe -name Eclipse -showsplash 600 -exitdata 1a28_4c -vm C:\WINDOWS\system32\javaw.exe -vmargs -Xms40m -Xms256m -jar C:\eclipse\startup.jar Whew! Lots of typing there. This is really strange because I recently downloaded the JDK 1.5_04 which includes the JVM runtime. Any advice is great. Phil
Advertisement
Make sure the Eclipse folder is in the C:\ directory or whatever your main directory is. I think I tried putting it in the program files folder once and it didn't work. Once I had it in the C:\ directory I got the .exe to run fine.
Yep, it's in the C:\ drive. It won't execute still.
Whats your JAVA_HOME set to?
www.aidanwalsh(.net)(.info)
Where can I find that?
Try this
It's 99% likely this is a problem with your JRE install and not with Eclipse. See if other Java apps/applets work for you. For example... try this. You shouldn't need to edit any system variables.
Kevin, thanks for the link, yet the applet ran fine. Chad, I'm confused as to what you're referring to.
Make sure you have at least 2 gig of RAM installed to run Eclipse as well ;)
Okay, try running Eclipse with this command line argument:

c:\eclipse\eclipse.exe -vm c:\jre\bin\javaw.exe

Of course, edit the paths to point to eclipse and the JRE, respectively. Try picking the one that didn't come with Windows.

From the Eclipse help file:

Quote:It is recommended that you explicitly specify which Java VM to use when running Eclipse. This is achieved with the -vm command line argument (for example, -vm c:\jre\bin\javaw.exe). If you don't use -vm, Eclipse will use the first Java VM found on the O/S path. When you install other products, they may change your path, resulting in a different Java VM being used when you next launch Eclipse.

[Edited by - Kevinator on September 1, 2005 2:18:13 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement