Mac OS X C++ compilers/IDEs

Started by
8 comments, last by Tobias Franke 18 years, 7 months ago
I want to port my SDL game to Mac OS X, but I don't know which compilers/IDEs are available. What are some C++ compilers/IDEs for the Mac?

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

Advertisement
The main one is Xcode (which also supports ObjC and Java out of the box), which comes with OS X.
Great [grin]. Also since I'm making some SDL tutorials, what are the other major C++ IDE/compilers for the Mac out there?

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

The only other major player that I know of is CodeWarrior, which seems to be slowly falling out of use in favor of Xcode. CodeWarrior has the disadvantage of being not free.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

I believe CodeWarrior, Xcode and ProjectBuilder (which is now deprecated by Xcode) are the only major ones.
XCode is the main development IDE for Mac as everyone has mentioned, but it's actually just a GUI over GCC, in the current XCode 2.1 you can compile using GCC 3.4.4 (i think it is) or GCC 4.0, if you want to just use makefiles from the command line you can and invoke everything just as you normally would.

I believe codeblocks has a Mac version, that you have to build yourself http://www.codeblocks.org/
Intel is porting their compilers to Mac. Looks like it'll be a plugin to Xcode though. It also looks like it won't support Objective C (which wouldn't be that big of a deal for someone porting a SDL app over to OS X - but i'd be curious to know how much mac development these days is done in objective c and cocoa).

I used Codewarrior years ago and was happy with it, same thing with project builder. Don't do much Mac dev anymore, but the things i've tested out lately with SDL build fine from the command line with makefiles and g++
Code::Blocks should theoretically work, but I don't think it's yet been tried in OSX. We'd appreciate it if someone was willing to try though =)
Quote:Original post by me22
Code::Blocks should theoretically work, but I don't think it's yet been tried in OSX. We'd appreciate it if someone was willing to try though =)

The day before yesterday, somebody started this thread on the Code::Blocks forums trying to compile it for OS X.

The latest news:
Quote:Original post by TheWizzard (in the Code::Blocks thread mentioned above)
Runs,

Well, sort of. Shows Splash and crashes.
(Well, that and talk about the backtrace)
You could also try the KDE ports! They have managed to get KDE apps to run natively with the KDE daemon on OS X. There is KDevelop available as well...
Support Bacteria, it's the only culture some people have.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement