Sign in to follow this  
FreeDebreuil

Direct Draw Antialiasing

The basic answer to your question is no... there's no fast way to do alphablending (which is what I think you are asking for) in DirectDraw. You would have to use Direct3D for that, OR use your own blending routines, which is going to be a lot slower than a DirectDraw blit.

So to answer your question, you can't easily use say a PNG file (with translucent pixel data on the edges of the circle/line).

Obviously you can have 'antialiasing' in the artwork you use but the color-keying is basically 1-bit, so you have to be very creative to avoid jaggies. My game Flux is DirectDraw, you can download it either in RealArcade or at www.planetflux.com, and if you look carefully you'll see all kinds of tricks I use to make this limitation less obvious. It is definitely a key design consideration for DirectDraw games, to the point where if you are at all serious about your game, use Direct3D. At this point it is almost impossible to make a DirectDraw game that can compete with a hardware accelerated (D3D7,8,9) version of the same game.

Hmmm, I'm really big on making my own antialiasing routine (nice game, btw). I'll use direct 3d, It'll be a bit harder, but then I'll be able to get nice, smooth 3d graphics :D Nice game again...

Well thanks, hoped that help... it's a good example of the limitations of DirectDraw in some ways. I hope you enjoy D3D, you can do crazy fun stuff with it. The scaling... rotation... translucency...