Check my game out!

Started by
28 comments, last by matthughson 18 years, 7 months ago
NOTE: The game has been finished since this post. I'm currently looking for people to try it out on this thread. Hey guys, I've started a little puzzle game, but I've hit a little snag. Everything was going fine until I decided to give it a run on my laptop system. For some reason when i run the program in windowed on my laptop DX fails to create a device (works fine in fullscreen though). So I'm just trying to get some people to give the app a run on their systems and tell me how it runs (or rather if it runs). If you have a second please post your system specs as well! Oh and if you have an idea of what can cause a problem like this, let me know! Here is the program: Flip Mode (right click - "Save As") Thanks, Matt Hughson [Edited by - matthughson on September 11, 2005 6:20:53 PM]
__________________________________[ Website ] [ Résumé ] [ [email=contact[at]matthughson[dot]com]Contact[/email] ][ Have I been Helpful? Hook me up! ]
Advertisement
Very nice! Worked great for me. It looks very cool, but is it finished gameplay wise? It seems like I'm always able to make a section disappear, but no more than that one. Also if I rotate, I screw up the mouse cursor and eventually lose it.

P4 3.2GHZ
1GB Ram
Win XP SP2
Ati Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB

As for why it fails on youe laptop in windowed mode, it doesn't sound that all suprising. There's many things that could contribute to it, just due to the way laptops work, but best bet would be to try and update drivers as well as use your AC adapter and no power profiles.
Thanks,

Yeah, it's not even close to being done; the thread title is just to trick people into clicking [wink]

Thanks for the suggestions on solutions. I have tried updating my drivers, but could you explain the power profile in more detail? I'm not sure what that means.

Matt Hughson
__________________________________[ Website ] [ Résumé ] [ [email=contact[at]matthughson[dot]com]Contact[/email] ][ Have I been Helpful? Hook me up! ]
Well what happens with WindowsXP and laptops is that to be more efficient, your laptop might reduce CPU speed as well as video specific features in order to save battery power. By using the AC adapter and making sure you are not running a "power-save" profile, you can get the maximum performance from your laptop (something you don't want when running off of batteries)

Now the best way to check the profile for Windows is by right clicking on your desktop and choosing properties. Then click on Screen Saver and the Power button. Take a look at the settings in there. You may also need to check your system tray as well because some laptops come with custom software that controls this setting as well.
Ahh yeah, everything is set to 'never' in there. Thanks though!

Matt Hughson
I haven't worked with Direct X, so this might not be worth anything - it's just a thought.

Does the bitdepth of your game and your desktop match? (not trying to run 32-bit bitdepth on a 16 or 24-bit desktop)

(Fullscreen mode ought to change the bitdepth and thus not result in an error, whereas the windowed mode might, I don't know.)
Good game! Runs fine on my computer (about 400 fps):

AMD Athlon 2200+
Radeon 9600XT
512MB
WinXP

I found a few little problems though: I can't move mouse cursor out of the screen, and when I alt-tab to another window and then back, mouse won't work with your game.
Worked great for me as well.

Athlon XP 3200+ / 1 Gig ram / 6800GT graphics card.

The enviroment map is a great touch, and looks great!

My only gripe is that it doesn't let go of the cursor when you move away from the window.

Awsome game.
Runs fine on my system.
Athlon XP 2500+ @3200+
1GB RAM
GeForce 6800GT

Even gameplay works fine for me, but I encountered a bug where a large block of black "pearls" disappeared and never was seen again (smallest block that disappeared was 3x3). This happened to me three times.
What kind of vertex processing are you creating the device with. I gave my friend a sample of my game once and he couldn't run it. Ended up he didn't have a seprate graphics card and couldn't get hardware vertex processing. If the device creation fails, try software vertex processing. It may work.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement