Outsourcing of Art

Started by
7 comments, last by netflow 18 years, 7 months ago
Locally, the talent pool is very small, and labour expensive. Am considering the possibility of just keeping a few concept artists in-house, and outsourcing the production of the final asset to lower cost countries like perhaps indonesia, india, or china. The problem i am now facing is, how do i actually FIND a list of companies that i can discuss with? Yellowpages is all in foreign language, and i have no idea how to go about implementing. Anyone have any experience or URLs or methods that they can share or companies to recommend?
Advertisement
Contracting Art For Your Game, by David Michael

Sorry, but I don't have any recommendations for you - that article is a good read on the subject though.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Hi,

I know of one company,because I represent them:

http://www.vbeing.com

We're currently in the process of expanding the company and are looking for work, the web site is also in the process of being updated.

You can contact us at:

develop@vbeing.com

Regards,
Thanks anonymous and kazgoroth.

For the rest of the readers, any one have any ideas or comments that might help me?

A colleague recommended going to the local embassies, where hopefully, they will be able to point me in the correct direction.

Besides that, any one have any idea that i might want to try exploring?

A friend of mine, Terence Tan, wrote a good article about some of the Game Development companies operating out of South East Asia.. That might be a good place to find development partners:

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20050420/tan_01.shtml

You could also contact the local IGDA chapters; SE Asia, India and China all have fairly active communities, and many of them will help foreign companies hook up with locals for outsourcing, co-development or Work for Hire.

http://www.igda.org/Forums/forumdisplay.php?s=f89442b7850f7b1c9eccb1508371d6b0&forumid=174

If you have any further questions, you can drop me an email or PM.

Allan Simonsen
Chapter Coordinator, IGDA Singapore

simonsen -@- rocketmail.com
------------------------------ BOOMZAPTry our latest game, Jewels of Cleopatra
Go to www.turbosquid.com.

I've found a bunch of talented freelance artists and studios there.
If you are still looking for Artists shoot me an email at webmaster@netflowdevelopments.com . I have a few contacts in India with outsourcing companies that can set something like this up for you rather cheaply. Which doesn't mean poorly by the way. My experience has 100% lead me to believe that you do not necessarily get what you pay for when it comes to the global scheme of things
Quote:Original post by netflow
My experience has 100% lead me to believe that you do not necessarily get what you pay for when it comes to the global scheme of things

Pros and cons; some things become harder, others become easier. Overall the work gets done, and usually a lot cheaper than west-coast rates.

Command & Control is a real life pain across timezones; you ideally want someone you trust working out of the office if you're doing anything cutting edge at all (new process, new pipeline, new technology), working with fresh graduates, or working to a strict deadline.

It's also a case of reciprocal respect; westerners that come into Asia talking big and looking for what one college called 'slant eyed sweat labour' usually finds themselves rudely disabused.

Ideally you want to partner with someone locally (in China, India or elsewhere) that has a vested interest in working with you. You also want to carefully manage the initial contracts to minimize friction for both of you. Finally, be carefull of culture clashes; especially around things like politeness, contracts/IP protection, and money.

Having said that, I've had very good experiences with Asia in general; it's been a great 6 years down here, and like Netflow says, from a biz point it's clearly worth it.

Allan
------------------------------ BOOMZAPTry our latest game, Jewels of Cleopatra
Yep, 100%. The key to a smooth successful outsourcing experience is to have a quality project manager in charge of the operation. Someone who you can get to share your ideas and visions and who in theory you don't have to speak to or worry about for weeks on end. Although in practice you will want to make sure that you have at least daily communications with your manager(thank god for skype and free calling to India).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement