• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Ternary

Redirecting standard output & Possible forum bug

This topic is 4822 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Since I am unable to post my question I shall post this filler and attempt to edit it. Edit: didn't work, I'll trying posting it as a reply Edit2: That didn't work either. Okay this is weird. I tried to post a question but got a "this document contains no data" message upon pressing the submit button instead. So I copied the text and tried a few more times; thinking it was a temporary problem. But it seems I just can't post this exact body of text. I'll try posting it a little bit at a time. [Edited by - Ternary on September 1, 2005 1:51:32 PM]

Advertisement
This is the original quesiton:

I'm trying to use a console application like a function. Specifically, I'm trying to launch a console app from a windows app and read everything the console app posts into its standard output (e.g. wprintf, wcout). I tried following an example from msdn, but I'm not having any luck.

This is my code so far
SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES sAttr;
sAttr.nLength = sizeof(SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES);
sAttr.bInheritHandle = true;
sAttr.lpSecurityDescriptor = 0;

HANDLE myRead,childWrite;
if(!CreatePipe(&myRead,&childWrite,&sAttr,400))
{
ErrorBox(L"could not create a pipe");
return;
}
SetHandleInformation(myRead,HANDLE_FLAG_INHERIT,0);

HANDLE childRead,myWrite;
if(!CreatePipe(&childRead,&myWrite,&sAttr,0))
{
CloseHandle(myRead);
CloseHandle(childWrite);
ErrorBox(L"could not create a second pipe");
return;
}
SetHandleInformation(myWrite,HANDLE_FLAG_INHERIT,0);

STARTUPINFO startupInfo = {0};
startupInfo.cb = sizeof(STARTUPINFO);
startupInfo.dwFlags = STARTF_USESTDHANDLES;
startupInfo.hStdInput = childRead;
startupInfo.hStdOutput = childWrite;
startupInfo.hStdError = childWrite;

PROCESS_INFORMATION processInfo;

if(!CreateProcess(L"C:\\WINXP2\\system32\\cmd.exe",0,0,0,true,0,0,0,&startupInfo,&processInfo))
{
CloseHandle(myRead);
CloseHandle(myWrite);
CloseHandle(childRead);
CloseHandle(childWrite);
ErrorBox(L"cmd.exe could not be executed");
return;
}
CloseHandle(processInfo.hThread);

WaitForSingleObject(processInfo.hProcess,INFINITE);

CloseHandle(processInfo.hProcess);
CloseHandle(childWrite);
CloseHandle(childRead);
CloseHandle(myWrite);

wchar_t buffer[201];
buffer[200] = 0;
DWORD numRead;
ReadFile(myRead,(LPVOID)&buffer,200*sizeof(wchar_t),&numRead,0);
CloseHandle(myRead);

MessageBox(hWnd,buffer,L"caption",MB_OK);

But the final output is garbage (looks like a row of boxes).

Can somebody steer me in the right direction?

p.s. I'm just using _cmd.exe for testing purposes.

[Edited by - Ternary on September 1, 2005 9:03:40 AM]

I have almost isolated the problem. I can't post the last little bit.

Edit: Looks like I can't add another 'e' or 'E'. Although I can add other letters.

Edit2: The problem is isolated. It seems I cannot post space-see-em-dee-dot-ee-ex-ee. I really would love to know the reason behind this.

[Edited by - Ternary on September 1, 2005 8:09:56 AM]

[SEMI_EDIT] Hmm... It looks like I can't post that dreaded cmd line executable either...

Can't say I know why that would be, but I do know that a while back I was trying to create a thread, and it would never take the message contents, only the title. It definitely pissed me off [grin] Anyway, you might want to PM one of the staff, it sounds like it might just be a forum bug, but even if it isn't, I'm sure they could give you an answer.

As for your question, I wish I could help, but I have very littel (read: next to none) knowledge in that area...

GAH! What a huge oversight! The output wasn't garbage. It was perfectly intelligable when I tried
MessageBoxA(hWnd,(char*)buffer,"caption",MB_OK);

What's going on here? The same thing happens with my own console program which was definitely written with unicode strings.

Anyway, I thought for sure a moderator or staff member would have noticed this thread by now and explained or at least acknowledged the_cmd.exe issue. A PM it is, then.

[Edited by - Ternary on September 2, 2005 1:02:22 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!