Sign in to follow this  
Kelly G

[.net] unmanaged object in .NET Arraylist (unsolved)

The parameter for .Add is __gc object, but many C++ libraries are written without managed objects. Is there a common work-around for putting unmanaged objects in a .Net ArrayList? [Edited by - Kelly G on September 1, 2005 8:01:47 PM]

If I understand your question properly you need to box unmanged or primitive types. For example the following is an error in Managed C++:

System::Collections::ArrayList* list = new System::Collections::ArrayList();
list->Add( 1 );

But if you box the integer it will work:

System::Collections::ArrayList* list = new System::Collections::ArrayList();
list->Add( __box( 1 ) );

In C# it's box() without the leading double underbars.

My apologies, I just remembered that boxing only works for value types not unmanaged types. Sorry for the misleading answer.

Too early in the morning...

If your unmanaged object is a pointer, you can just turn it into an IntPtr.

static_cast<IntPtr>(whatever); (note that you have to use static_cast. using IntPtr's constructor has created some weird new pointer-to-a-pointers for me when I used it...)

You cannot store unmanaged objects in managed containers. You also cannot do the reverse. However, you can store pointers to unmanaged objects in managed containers (using IntPtr). You can also use marshalling to convert value types to their equivelent .Net value types.

I should note that there is a possibility that future releases of the .Net platform will allow for cross heap allocations (ie Managed objects on the unmanaged heap, and visa versa).