newbie opengl question

Started by
20 comments, last by stalwyn 18 years, 7 months ago
Hi there. I’m trying to get back to doing some openGL programming but have come across a rather annoying and confusing problem After I compile a program I’ve written (Borland bcc32 if that’s important) and try to run the .exe, I get a ' test1.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience' error with windows asking if I want to send an error report (to who… me?). I assumed it was my programming ineptitude so I tired opening a simple exe (just opens a blank window) and the same error pops up. I don’t know what to do. Any help you guys could give would be great. Cheers.
Advertisement
Code please
"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
Wow. That was quick

#include <windows.h>
#include <GL/glut.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

void init ( void ) {
glEnable ( GL_DEPTH_TEST );
glClearColor ( 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 );
}

void display ( void ) {
glClear ( GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT );
glPushMatrix ( );
glPopMatrix ( );
glutSwapBuffers ( );
}

void reshape(int w, int h) {
glViewport ( 0, 0, w, h );
glMatrixMode ( GL_PROJECTION );
glLoadIdentity ( );
if ( h==0 )
gluPerspective ( 80, ( float ) w, 1.0, 5000.0 );
else
gluPerspective ( 80, ( float ) w / ( float ) h, 1.0, 5000.0 );
glMatrixMode ( GL_MODELVIEW );
glLoadIdentity ( );

}

void keyboard ( unsigned char key, int x, int y ) {
switch ( key ) {
case 27: /* Escape key */
exit ( 0 );
break;
case 'f':
glutFullScreen ( );
break;
case 'w':
glutReshapeWindow ( 250,250 );
break;
default:
break;
}
}

int main ( int argc, char** argv ) {
glutInit ( &argc, argv );
glutInitDisplayMode ( GLUT_RGB | GLUT_DOUBLE );
glutInitWindowSize ( 250, 250 );
glutCreateWindow ( argv[0] );
init ( );
glutReshapeFunc ( reshape );
glutKeyboardFunc ( keyboard );
glutDisplayFunc ( display );
glutMainLoop ( );
return 0;
}

It's as simple a program as I could make. I even got a mate to compile and run it and he had no problems.
Well, if your mate could compile and run it without problems, have you tried to do a clean and then build it from scratch? Probably under "Build" menu.

Also, I can't see any point to having these two lines called one after the other:
glPushMatrix ( );glPopMatrix ( );
[size="2"][size=2]Mort, Duke of Sto Helit: NON TIMETIS MESSOR -- Don't Fear The Reaper
I'd also make sure that your OGL files are all of the same version. If so, make sure they are the latest.
Cheers all. First off, the glPushMatrix() and glPopMatrix() were left behind from hacking my code down to see what was wrong with it, well spotted. I have tried cleaning and building from scratch repeatedly without much luck.

I've also changed to the latest glut32 files... nothin’.
Wait a minute. I've just tired linking the compiled file and got loads of these error messages

Turbo Incremental Link 5.00 Copyright (c) 1997, 2000 Borland
Error: Unresolved external 'glutInit' referenced from C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\MY DOCUMENTS\CPROJECTS\TESTER\TEST1.OBJ
Error: Unresolved external 'glutInitDisplayMode' referenced from C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\MY DOCUMENTS\CPROJECTS\TESTER\TEST1.OBJ
Error: Unresolved external 'glutInitWindowSize' referenced from C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\MY DOCUMENTS\CPROJECTS\TESTER\TEST1.OBJ
Error: Unresolved external 'glutCreateWindow' referenced from C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\MY DOCUMENTS\CPROJECTS\TESTER\TEST1.OBJ

I think why this didn’t come up before was because my clean tool's settings were wrong. Sorry if this has wasted any of your time, but how do I sort this out?
What do you mean changed to the latest glut32 files??
"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
You didn't link to the GLUT library?
I’ve linked to glut.lib now, and it crates an exe. Which is nice. But now it gives me a new runtime error message:

test1.exe - Unable to Locate Component
This application has failed to start because OPENGL.dll was not found. Re-initialising the application may fix this problem.

Any ideas?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement