• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
halo360

very newbie programing questions

This topic is 4798 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ok i have a few. please don't flame i am very new to this and need some advice from programmers. ok first question. is it possable to make games with vb.net? and what is the differance between c++ and c#, and which should i try, c++ or c #, or both. and one last thing. is visual basic.net easier then c++ or c#?

Advertisement
C++, C#, and Visual Basic are three different languages. The last two have many things in common, since they run using much the same software libraries. Both of them are much simpler to learn than C++. All three may be used to make a game. If you have never programmed before, I would suggest programming in Python, but C# will also work.

Quote:

it possable to make games with vb.net?

Yes.

Quote:
and what is the differance between c++ and c#, and which should i try, c++ or c #, or both.

They're simmilar syntax but some minor differences. C# is managed, so it has garbage collection and some other features. It's much easier to make Windows GUIs with C# since it's easily integrated with .NET. C# doesn't have pointers (well, they don't encourage using them) so it may be easier to start out that C++ but generally the two are simmilar. I would recommend you do some research on both, give em both a try and see what you prefer. It also depends on what your goals are.

Quote:

and one last thing. is visual basic.net easier then c++ or c#?

IMHO, It's simpler yes, this is subjective of course but I think it's generally agreed. (By simpler I don't mean less functional. I believe anything you can do with C# you can do with VB.NET since it's the same Intermediate Lang.)

1. It is possible to make games with vb.net

2. c++ came from plain c. It is used my most game developers. C# comes from Microsoft and has a more java like syntax to it.

3. Since you're just beginning, you could choose either but you might have problems with both. You might want to check out Python.

4. For a beginner, sure. It is easier to learn but once you make the leap to another language, you won't have access to or use a lot of vb's features. I would say if you want to make games one day. Start with python or maybe java. They are both powerful, you just have to get the basics down first. Make some good console programs before you even think anything about graphics.

Yes you can make games with VB. There are a number of differences between c++ and c# such as c# is a managed language (garbage collected -- you don't need to worry about dynamically allocated memory) and it has a lot of system calls and such that make it really easy to whip up an app. But I'll let another poster fill in the details since I haven't used c# much at all. And the language you choose to use depends entirely on the situation. c# is great for writing tools or rapid prototyping but c++ is generally more powerful. Not to mention that I don't think c# is a multi-platform language meaning I believe it's windows only where c++ is used anywhere (though there are subtle differences in its implementation in some cases). Which one is easier is a very subjective question. I've never used VB so I can't comment on it. But I'd imagine you might find c# to be easier to use over all.

ok, well thanks again everyone:) im gonna look into c# some, then mabye some c++, mabye some vb. but thanks again everyone.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!