MMO Teams everywhere, but not a game to spare.

Started by
19 comments, last by KarmaDog 18 years, 7 months ago
I think it has to do with the fact the people want to make games that they would want to play. And since so many people are playing MMO these days its natural that there is so many people out there wanting to make their own MMO.
Advertisement
One thing to remember on this forum is not everyone who posts the newest MMO idea is trying to make one (alot are, but not all)

Some of us, have no clue on programming, nor any plan to make an MMO.

However, we do have ideas, and post them. For us its like a hobby of creativity.

I have alot of ideas floating around. Will I make one...no. But I like posting the idea...besides someone may say...HEY thats a cool idea, I like it.
Ideas presented here are free. They are presented for the community to use how they see fit. All I ask is just a thanks if they should be used.
Quote:Original post by Omegavolt
Quote:For example, Game 1: RPG
Game 2: RPG w/ better graphics
Game 3: RPG w/ better story
Game 4: RPG w/ better gameplay
Game 5: My First MMORPG
Game 6: My Second MMORPG, CLANS!
Game 7: My Third MMORPH, Many features!!!
Game 8: My Fourth MMORPG, I WILL CHARGE FOR THIS ONE!!!

That is the secret to successful game dev right there. Good call! :D

Personally, I think it could even be started lower. My first release for testing will be a town. No quests, no plot, no NPC banter. Just a character, buildings, a place to shop, a place to sleep, and a place to hunt monsters (sewer, forest, the grassy patch just outside the city limits). Done. At least then, players are able to kill, loot, upgrade, repeat. Cliche' as it is, it gives them something playable. Then the developer can slowly add NPCs, NPC text, a few simple quests, a larger area outside of town, etc.

Starting low like that has a few benefits. It allows players into the game early to start finding bugs, which minimizes the impact later. It allows players to make suggestions early on, which allows for more efficient game design. And it allows people to see that youve made progress and have actually completed something, which will bring in extra help. ;)

That is a good explanation, Omega. That design is so effective. But since it's so simple, many people, such as noobs, think that "simple" design is stupid and underrated. Too bad for them they're wrong. I think that if anyone's going suceed in any type of MMO, they need to start making game, gain experience, and gain some common sense that making large games like that will lead ignorant teams, or person, to oblivion. Lol. I always wanted to say that.

If you are reading this, then you are too attached to signatures!!
The simple start is what I have in mind for my MMORPG. I plan on starting with a town in a text based RPG and NOTHING more. You will be able to move around and look at things.

When that works I'll add in shops and things like dart boards or training facilities. With these implemented I have combat implemented. With combat, the hunting grounds are added.

Next is mining facilities where players can go mine stuff, followed by allowing players to purchase mining equipment and mine and build their own buildings.

And so on, I prefer the itterative approach as opposed to trying to do everything at the start.
- My $0.02
Quote:Original post by robert4818
One thing to remember on this forum is not everyone who posts the newest MMO idea is trying to make one (alot are, but not all)

Some of us, have no clue on programming, nor any plan to make an MMO.

However, we do have ideas, and post them. For us its like a hobby of creativity.

I have alot of ideas floating around. Will I make one...no. But I like posting the idea...besides someone may say...HEY thats a cool idea, I like it.

true, i enjoy brainstorming for ideas. I enjoy designing games even if they wont ever get made.
--------------------------------Dr Cox: "People are ***tard coated ***tards with ***tard filling."
Thank you for all the constructive replies...I will now take the time to reply to all of you.

ace_lovegrove: I can definatly understand your point of view.
This is a large, complex, and limitless industry...and leads to multiple concepts.

Sol462: Finally, I thought I was the only one who noticed this trend.

acraig: That is very fortunate of you, but still can you imagine the fact that there are 100's of these projects out there...and only about 1 out of every 100 make any progress at all...and only 1 out of every 100 of those make it to complete!

Thats way less then a 1% chance of making it!

Trapper Zoid: Yes that is most definatly the reason why they try to make these games.
But what they don't realise is that if they cant make something simple, there is 0 chance of making it full time.

Roots: Oh, hmm well when I here RPG I think Walk around, beat up bad guys, and talk to strangers....as well as a normal young boy has a big tragety and now he is this mystic warrior.

Omegavolt: Right, well as I said before people have no patients to start with those simple things like that.
So the thing is, I would start out with the most basic of basic rpg.

Radiostorm: I am glad to see you agree with me.
And where did you go to school?

Guimo: Hmm, thats another thing.
Most people want an origanal game engine, which is very sickening being as that even the most simplest of 2D game engines are hard to make...let alone a next gen 3D game engine, with physics, and ai!

evolutional: I got a good laugh out of that one...
10 years is alot of experience, what games have you made!

TechnoGoth: As I said to TrapperZoid, that is 100% the reason why they want to do that.

robert4818: Right, but if you look at the help wanted forum, all you see is "H3lp m3 with me MMORPG!!!!111one"

Zido: Erm, well I guess that post isnt directed to me, so I wont reply.

Drethon: Where is this game, I might be interested in playing it.

Riviera Kid: That post wasn't directed towards me, so I will not reply

OK, thank you all for the great post.
Keep it up, I would love to see this post evolve more on.
Quote:Radiostorm: I am glad to see you agree with me. And where did you go to school?

Seneca College in Ontario, Canada. I took their two year digital media arts program. < http://www.senecac.on.ca/fulltime/DMA.html >

There was a lot of emphasis on project management in addition to practical application of software. A good portion of my project marks were based on my process, planning, rough work, storyboards and idea maps. I was even thrust into the role of a project manager over several classmates in a few instances. My professors were really intent on ingraining the importance of project management into our jaded art student minds.
Actually, the single biggest hurdle to making a small 3D MMO is the amount of art needed. Characters, weapons, items, monsters, environments, interface, effects, ... it just goes on. While some good programmers happily work for free in their spare time, most artists don't seem to want to do that. I think they're smarter than us ;-)

Now, here's where money comes in: if you have money, you can pay artists. And that's where management comes in, because you can't have other people giving you money unless you have your act together. Pretty soon, the whole thing snowballs and it grows too big for an indie.

There are some exceptions. PlaneShift is one; RuneScape is another (it's indie, but it's been around for a while). There are some MMOs that use 2D, or are set in space, or otherwise chooses to not have the challenges of a typical 3D MMO, too.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
The game I'm working on is still in the development phase, I'm spending more time working on Conflict Omega (www.conflictomega.com) at the moment.
- My $0.02
Hmm, seems we have 3 more comments.
Ok well I will try my best to reply.

RadioStorm: Thanks, sorry for the random gest.
I was just curious is all.
I am interested in not only checking ones experience, but where there background is as well.

Its more of a "Does this school teach well, or not" kind of thing.
I always put myself as if I was a corporation (alas I am not) and If I was hiring I would look more into your school to find out the success ratio, any famous developers from the school, and the average game style that is spawned from that company to compare if it's compatable with mine.

Research is another great aspect I noticed many game developers (some professional corperations as well) don't put into view.

hplus0603: I must agree with the art part, but I can not find A single programmer at all.
May it be from the fact that I myself do not know how to program well? (I can basicly read it, but not code)

Drethon: I will check that game out, see what it's all about.
If possible I would like to maybe even play it when/if it's released (if as in If it is currently released, not as in if it ever will be)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement