"movie software"

Started by
4 comments, last by yspotua 18 years, 7 months ago
I was wondering about the best method for creating an intro movie of 10 min. I'm using Blender for the 3D objects, blender also supports animation ofcourse but is this good enough to make such an intro movie? If not, can you recommend me a free tool wich can do the job? Thanks -Fenryl
Advertisement
The question is not the tool in your case. Blender has bones afaik. And so you should be able to do most jobs.

So it´s more a thing of your own skills and experience, and of course your patience.

The mainquestion is how complex you want it to be. Moving a cube from left to right can be done by one person with very little experience and effort. But creating a cutscene that involves hundrets of animated sprites and high realistic landscape is simply too much for a single person.

Not talking about your hardware here. Professionals uses Workstations and renderfarms. Now guess why ... ;)

tilesets games spriteshttp://www.reinerstileset.de
Depends what you want to do, but I doubt if you will find a free 3-D animation tool that is better than blender. There is much more powerful software but it is usually very expensive.
Blender has the capability to create absolutely stunning work. Whether you have the ability to do so is a different matter, of course. But Blender itself is quite powerful enough.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
The question is what kind of movie? Do you mean a sequence rendered in real-time by the game engine, or a pre-rendered video?

In either case, Blender is probably a good tool to use, if you can learn it. It's interface is somewhat unconventional, but then it's all a matter of what you're used to. If you're brand new to 3d modeling/animation, it might be a good starting point. Otherwise, stick with what you know (3DS max, or maya for example)

If you're going to be pre-rendering the thing, you'll also need something to cut the footage together. The standard packages are Adobe premier, Pinacle, or Ulead. I personally use adobe and Pinacle's Liquid Edition 6. There's also an open-source alternative that looks good (I'm just starting to mess with it now) called Cinelerra. Only catch is that right now, it's only for linux

Hope this helps, good luck
Last I used Blender, it had the abiliity to edit clips created with it, so it can serve as the video editing software as well. But It didnt have audio editing last i used it so other software will be required for that phase.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement