SFX for RPG

Started by
6 comments, last by The C modest god 18 years, 7 months ago
I am looking for soundFX for a RPG game. Mainly sounds of swords, magic and monsters. Perhaps a bit for the interface. I have looked through the sites this forum links to, but havnt found something that will fit my needs. Either it is too expensive, or the sound quality is low (syntesized sounds), or the sounds doesnt fit my needs. What I need is good quality sounds (original recordings), which wont be too expensive and would fit to the type of sounds I mentioned above. Have you found something like that? because I dont seem to find it. I wonder how retail games get their soundFX, probabbly they pay for a sound studio to make them the sounds?
It's all about the wheel.Never blindly trust technoligy.I love my internal organs.Real men don't shower.Quote:Original post by Toolmaker Quote:Original post by The C modest godHow is my improoved signature?It sucks, just like you.
Advertisement
People make entire careers doing sound effects for games.
They are called Sound Designers.
Sometimes they are also the composer for the games music as well.
Try to recruit someone who's looking for a project.
I'm going to have to get to this eventually, since I am insanely trying to become good at all game development skills, but sound effects is nearly last on my list. But I know a bit about the topic...

Retail games either buy package CDs of sound effects (and make do with what they have), or hire a sound guy to make the effects. The CD is by far the cheapest option (since you don't have to pay anyone's wages), but you'll have to make do with what you have there (or what you can manipulate in an editor).

The sound guy is, as krikkit says, often the music composer as well (as he was when I was working at a studio a few years back). He made sound effects in the same way that a Foley sound guy made effects for those old radio shows; footsteps in a box of gravel etc.. It's amazing how many effects you can make with a simple sound tool, a good quality microphone, and a well stocked kitchen.
Quote:Original post by Trapper Zoid
I'm going to have to get to this eventually, since I am insanely trying to become good at all game development skills, but sound effects is nearly last on my list. But I know a bit about the topic...

Retail games either buy package CDs of sound effects (and make do with what they have), or hire a sound guy to make the effects. The CD is by far the cheapest option (since you don't have to pay anyone's wages), but you'll have to make do with what you have there (or what you can manipulate in an editor).

The sound guy is, as krikkit says, often the music composer as well (as he was when I was working at a studio a few years back). He made sound effects in the same way that a Foley sound guy made effects for those old radio shows; footsteps in a box of gravel etc.. It's amazing how many effects you can make with a simple sound tool, a good quality microphone, and a well stocked kitchen.

Where do retail games buy their package CDs from? because it seems there are not too much good sound CDs out there. Maybe its because there isnt allot of demand for such sound CDs.
It's all about the wheel.Never blindly trust technoligy.I love my internal organs.Real men don't shower.Quote:Original post by Toolmaker Quote:Original post by The C modest godHow is my improoved signature?It sucks, just like you.
Its a limited industry, so typically the sound designers accrue libraries of sample CDs and will utilize them in their jobs.

There are some websites where you can shop, pay for and download individual effects for a few bucks each. Sound Dogs was one of them.
I am currently developing a site selling my sound effects for reasonable prices. If you dont find what you need, email me with a list and ill make them and put them up for you. If you need them chances are someone else will need the same thing.

Echophile Studios - Audio solutions for games and multimedia
Quote:Original post by The C modest god
Where do retail games buy their package CDs from? because it seems there are not too much good sound CDs out there. Maybe its because there isnt allot of demand for such sound CDs.

*cough*SFX & Music Resources*cough*

- Jason Astle-Adams

Quote:Original post by Kazgoroth
Quote:Original post by The C modest god

*cough*SFX & Music Resources*cough*

Actually after I have looked in this linked I have came up with my post, because I didnt find something that will fit my needs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement