• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Mobile

[web] AJAX: A Discusson

This topic is 4839 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
One approach would be to use Ruby on Rails which provides a very clean interface to doing AJAX-style operations without writing any javascript. If you don't want that I would advise you to handle the XMLHttpRequest yourself in javascript. I've tried ajaxac (php framework) and I didn't like it at all.

If you have any luck with getting Ruby on Rails to run on a linux machine let me know :D

Quote:
Original post by Ilici
One approach would be to use Ruby on Rails which provides a very clean interface to doing AJAX-style operations without writing any javascript. If you don't want that I would advise you to handle the XMLHttpRequest yourself in javascript. I've tried ajaxac (php framework) and I didn't like it at all.

If you have any luck with getting Ruby on Rails to run on a linux machine let me know :D

What problem do you have with Rails? It's one of the easiest software to install. The only two pre-requisites are Ruby itself (version 1.8.2) and RubyGems. After that, it's just gem install -r rails and RubyGems will take care of the dependencies for you.

Quote:
Original post by GnuVince
Quote:
Original post by Ilici

What problem do you have with Rails? It's one of the easiest software to install. The only two pre-requisites are Ruby itself (version 1.8.2) and RubyGems. After that, it's just gem install -r rails and RubyGems will take care of the dependencies for you.

I agree, Ruby and the Rails framework are outstanding. If anyone has done any extensive work with something like Php & Mojavi, or WACT or even .NET, you'll soon realize you've been living in the dark ages. I'm not sure, but Ruby & Rails sure looks like a Php killer to me. :-)

Quote:
Original post by kryat
for large production servers, performance can be an issue with ruby on rails.

Do you have experience running a large production server, and have you dealt with said performance issues?

AJAX is a stupid buzzword. It's a technique that people have been using in one form or another for several years, before the term was coined.

Just like "Web Services", which lots of companies were already using before it was "invented".

I don't have anything against the technique, just the buzzword.

So far I've only used it (in production) for a very non-critical information-gathering function.

Mark

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!