[web] AJAX: A Discusson

Started by
8 comments, last by markr 18 years, 7 months ago
I have been getting into this and I am wondering what other people think about AJAX. What are the pros and cons of this approach? Also, do you know of any really good libraries for handling the XmlHttpRequest on many browsers? Here is a neat little script I found: http://www.twinhelix.com/&#106avascript/htmlhttprequest/</a>
Advertisement
You might find this interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AJAX#Pros.2C_cons.2C_and_criticism
Quote:Original post by kevmo
You might find this interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AJAX#Pros.2C_cons.2C_and_criticism

Thanks for the link :)
One approach would be to use Ruby on Rails which provides a very clean interface to doing AJAX-style operations without writing any &#106avascript. If you don't want that I would advise you to handle the XMLHttpRequest yourself in &#106avascript. I've tried ajaxac (php framework) and I didn't like it at all. <br><br>If you have any luck with getting Ruby &#111;n Rails to run &#111;n a linux machine let me know :D
Quote:Original post by Ilici
One approach would be to use Ruby on Rails which provides a very clean interface to doing AJAX-style operations without writing any &#106avascript. If you don't want that I would advise you to handle the XMLHttpRequest yourself in &#106avascript. I've tried ajaxac (php framework) and I didn't like it at all. <br><br>If you have any luck with getting Ruby &#111;n Rails to run &#111;n a linux machine let me know :D<!--QUOTE--></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE><!--/QUOTE--><!--ENDQUOTE--><br><br>What problem do you have with Rails? It's &#111;ne of the easiest software to install. The &#111;nly two pre-requisites are Ruby itself (version 1.8.2) and RubyGems. After that, it's just <tt>gem install -r rails</tt> and RubyGems will take care of the dependencies for you.
Quote:Original post by GnuVince
Quote:Original post by Ilici
One approach would be to use Ruby on Rails which provides a very clean interface to doing AJAX-style operations without writing any &#106avascript. If you don't want that I would advise you to handle the XMLHttpRequest yourself in &#106avascript. I've tried ajaxac (php framework) and I didn't like it at all. <br><br>If you have any luck with getting Ruby &#111;n Rails to run &#111;n a linux machine let me know :D<!--QUOTE--></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE><!--/QUOTE--><!--ENDQUOTE--><br><br>What problem do you have with Rails? It's &#111;ne of the easiest software to install. The &#111;nly two pre-requisites are Ruby itself (version 1.8.2) and RubyGems. After that, it's just <tt>gem install -r rails</tt> and RubyGems will take care of the dependencies for you.<!--QUOTE--></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE><!--/QUOTE--><!--ENDQUOTE--><br><br>I agree, Ruby and the Rails framework are outstanding. If anyone has done any extensive work with something like Php & Mojavi, or WACT or even .NET, you'll soon realize you've been living in the dark ages. I'm not sure, but Ruby & Rails sure looks like a Php killer to me. :-)
for large production servers, performance can be an issue with ruby on rails.
Quote:Original post by kryat
for large production servers, performance can be an issue with ruby on rails.

Do you have experience running a large production server, and have you dealt with said performance issues?
I think AJAX is a stupid buzzword. The kindof stuff it refers to is pretty neat though...
------------------------------BASIC programmers don't die, they just GOSUB and don't return.
AJAX is a stupid buzzword. It's a technique that people have been using in one form or another for several years, before the term was coined.

Just like "Web Services", which lots of companies were already using before it was "invented".

I don't have anything against the technique, just the buzzword.

So far I've only used it (in production) for a very non-critical information-gathering function.

Mark

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement