• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
xinvar

Transparent Objects

This topic is 4896 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

you could use a natural merge sort to take advantage of temporal coherence across frames. A modified byte-based radix sort would also work quite well and if you're using a Client/Server model for your rendering a radix sort would be almost free (do it during submission to the rendering backend).

You also might want to look into deffered shading if your hardware has floating point frame buffer support (GeForce FX/Radeon 9x00/Radeon X600+, but only GeForce 6 series has native 64bit frame blending etc)

Just my 2 cents

Advertisement
Thank you FReY for the analysis. My program is actually GPU bounded (without transparent objects), but it's still real-time. I would consider sorting once it passes my okay threshold for fps :-)

Thank you silvermace for the nice suggestions, I would learn a lot from them! My card is Quadro 4400 so I'm free to explore all the possiblities you talked about.

Guest Anonymous Poster
It's true that if you render back to front you don't need to turn off depth writing, BUT if your ordering is not perfect it can help mask the errors.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!