Advice needed

Started by
3 comments, last by m3rcyful ag3nt 18 years, 7 months ago
Hi there I want to start working on my tetris clone, however, I can´t decide which API to chose (SDL or DX). I know SDL is easier but I think that doing tetris could be a good beginning to DX. What do u guys think? Also, which book do u think is better to start learning either of these API's? thanks a lot
Advertisement
A common theme in programming is to use the right tool for the job. In this case, I don't think it really matters. Personally I would use SDL, simply because it is (in my opinion) easier than DirectX for this type of project.

Just my opinion. If you plan on using DirectX in the future for large projects, perhaps you should use that instead.

Basicly, what are your needs? Do you need the ability to, right off the bat (I'm ignoring the fact you can combine OpenGL & SDL), use advanced API options? Keep in mind that if you want to do advanced things, you can use OpenGL for graphics and SDL for input, sound, etc.

Just use whichever you think will be the better tool. Since it sounds like you want to use DirectX, I would suggest going with that.

For the books, check out the books section on this site.
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words
Frankly, I'd do a version using both. You'll get a taste of each API and have the knowledge you need to pick the right tool for your future projects. Too many people throw rocks at one or the other without fully understanding both sides.
Quote: Frankly, I'd do a version using both. You'll get a taste of each API and have the knowledge you need to pick the right tool for your future projects. Too many people throw rocks at one or the other without fully understanding both sides

That´s actually a good idea. Cheers.
Well, for SDL I chose "Focus on SDL" by Ernest Pazera and for DX I chose "Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX" by Jim Adams.
Are these really the best beginners books for these API's?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement