• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Full-bodied RPG code, aftertaste OK

This topic is 4618 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay, so I'm working on a C++ 2d RPG (square-enix FF type), and I have most of the classes already put together, but I'm stuck on how to implement a scripting system and put it all together. I.E. I've got a simple framework, but I can't test it, 'cause I don't know how to connect scripting to it. Does anyone know of a CRPG (preferrably on WinXP with a MSVC2003/5 build) whose source code is open? Thanks in advance for your help! P.S. I'm basing the combat in my game on Magic: The Gathering, and I have pretty good SQL experience, but I've never tried using it with a game. Any thoughts on the SQL or M:TG aspects?

Advertisement
Well your first step here should be chosing a scripting language for your game, and that really depends on what you want to do with your scripts/data. Two popular choices are Lua and Python, each with their own benefits and shortcomings. I would invest some time researching them to figure out which is better for you. Here is a good Lua versus Python comparison.

I don't know of any console RPGs that have opened their source. However *shameless plug* my game is designed to be played just like a console RPG and the source is GPLed. We use C++ and Lua. Unfortunately, I admit that our engine/scripting interface is rather primative still, as the guy who's supposed to be handling that has been out for quite a few weeks now due to personal issues.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help. So many people are using Python (that's Google's search engine language, I think), so I'd better just get used to it anyway.

I think I'll check out your game - and code. Don't worry, I won't pinch the whole thing! lol

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement