Still Need Power of 2 Texture Sizes ?

Started by
3 comments, last by DBX 18 years, 7 months ago
Hi guys, Do we still have to use texture sizes that are a power of 2 ? I haven't programmed in Direct3D for a while and was hoping that changed. Thanks.
Advertisement
ummm, how long has a while been because the only reason i know about using power of 2 is in a quake engine and thats just for smaller and easier use. But it doesn't need to be a power of 2, but im sure if it is, it is somewhat easier and faster to render.
you can use non-power-of-2 textures but IIRC they will use up the same amount of memory as the next bigger power of 2 texture would. At least on most graphics cards I guess this is true, so it would be a waste of memory.
Don't assume you can use non-power-of-2 textures. I reckon most cards nowadays can do but wouldn't it be nice if your game also worked on more exotic/older cards? Esp. with DirectX you shouldn't assume anything, check the caps and work off of them.

Just a little more work on your side and you increased your possible user base!

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Non power of 2 is also conditional. That means there are restrictions on the way you can use it - e.g. texture addressing modes. The SDK should give the information on this.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement