Automated script binding

Started by
6 comments, last by fnm 18 years, 7 months ago
Hi all, For the last year I have been working on a tool that can automatically generate C++ bindings for any scripting lanuage. This project has been for my Honors thesis at Deakin University in Australia and is almost complete. It works by having the developer "tag" functions as SCRIPT_FUNC and class as SCRIPT_CLASS within the C++ header files. The tool acts as a pre-processor and automatically builds bindings for your required scripting lanuage. Unlike SWIG, the developer does not need to give it "cleaned" header files and the bindings it creates are almost 100% configurable (this is how it can support almost any scripting langauge). Is there anyone here at GameDev that would be interested in using such a tool? I am considering creating a public websiste for it once it is complete. Cheers, -Digitalblur
DigitalBlur
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by DigitalBlur
...a tool that can automatically generate C++ bindings for any scripting lanuage.

Neat! I would be very much interested! Any chance that I can have a look at it?
Well, its not 100% complete at this point. It does successfully generate script bindings, but im still working on fully integrating it with MSVC.NET's pre-build event.It is also missing any form of documentation.

Once I have it working fully, I will document its use. Im just not sure weather I should create a full blown website + documenation for it or just slap together a readme.txt and a download link.
DigitalBlur
'Any' scripting language is a bold claim ;)

As an author of a binding library myself, I'd like to see how you achieve this :)
SWIG is a very popular system. If your system is significantly better than SWIG then there woud be a lot of interest.
The, as of yet unnamed, tool uses lua to create a sort of dictionary, which not only describes how to convert between newly defined C++ types and the scripting language, but has also been designed with enough flexibility to allow virtually any (provided it is not embedded REALLY unusually) scripting language bindings to be generated.

This concept, along with a two stage approach to parsing C++ and generating code allows the tool to approach almost 100% automation and compatibility.

If there is any further questions regarding its design please don't hesistate to ask, im happy to answer any questions.

I guess I should start putting together some good documentation for the tool. Can anybody recommend good FREE website hosting?
DigitalBlur
My site? You'll have to put up with a .voodoolabs.net at the end of it but that's okay right?

I have 4gb each month for all the sites that I'm hosting... I normally get through about 200Mb.

Interested... email me or PM.

ftp access...
pop account... whatever

voodoolabs.net
Quote:Original post by DigitalBlur
Can anybody recommend good FREE website hosting?

have you considered sourceforge?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement