• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
AntiGuy

Model Format HELP!!!

This topic is 4675 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Could someone please help me out with model loading! I've heard that obj is the easiest format but I've got no information on animating for it. I've tried the MD2 format and loaded my models in some of the loaders but I sometimes get errors, and outside of that, I don't know how I would do animation outside the modeling program. This is driving me nutz!!! I thought I'd do something like build the model make animations for it and load the file information through the code but it seems there's much more to it! A recommended file format and any info you have on it would be much obliged!

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by AntiGuy
I thought I'd do something like build the model make animations for it and load the file information through the code but it seems there's much more to it!

You've got it! There is nothing more, believe me. :) First of all, you have to create the model in some of a 3D moddeling applications (like Milkshape/3D Studio). Then, with use of the same tool you make animations. After the model is done, you need to export it to a file format you'd like (most of the 3D moddeling tools can use different plugins). The rest of the job belongs to the programmer. You have to find a correct file format specification and write a code that loads the mesh from the file together with keyframes and other animation tips. Making the model move/animate is only a matter of using the data read by your loader!

In case of MD2 file format, you might be interested in the following sites :
http://www.xbdev.net/3dformats/md2/md2layout/md2fileformat.php
http://www.draekko.org/documentation/md2format.html

... there's much more. Just try google.

Hope it helps!

The OBJ file format is pretty "dumb" -- it doesn't have any animation data, just vertex/normal/basic grouping/material data. It's good for static meshes and rigid objects with simple, "mechanical" animations, such as a vehicle with wheels or propellers.

- Nate

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!