Fastest 2D graphic-api?

Started by
5 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 7 months ago
I'm currently working on a 2D-game. And I'm using Open Gl as a graphic API and having some problems. So, I was wondering, except OpenGl, wich graphic library is the fastest, most compatible with PC's, when working with 2D and TGA-images? Suggestions, anyone? Thanks!
Advertisement
unless you are writing a cross-platform game - I'd suggest the ID3DXSprite interface, it is very fast and very easy to use - the only drawback that the sprite are transformed so they will not be affected by vertex- and pixelshaders. (i suppose post-effects will work though)
Ethereal
You could try SDL/Allegro, they've been used for years in 2d games.
Ok, SDL/Allegro. And TGA-files with transparency isn't a problem?
SDL with SDLimage will do the trick. But you said you wanted the fastest. That brings up a few issues.

SDL's software blitting gets the job done. But is no match in speed to something like SDL with OpenGL, or the hacked SDLGL stuff.

OpenGL and Direct3D are fast, very fast. But now you are saying in order to play my game you MUST have a 3D accelerated graphics card. Depending on your game you may not want to limit your audience in such a way.

In Conclusion.
Software SDL should be fast *enough* and allow for a wider audience, and multiple platforms.
OpenGL/Direct3D will be insane fast, but it is limiting your user base.
Consider the type of game you are making.
i make my little 2d games in win32 api. no additional fancy libs or whatever. i have no idea if it's any fast but it appears to work fine.

btw, have someone tried measuring the performance od win32?
I like the popcap framework. It's easy and harware accelerated if your users have the hardware and falls back to software rendering if not. Considering how many games popcap has put out it is about as stable a platform for 2D PC development as you are going to find.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement