AI book

Started by
10 comments, last by AlbertoT 18 years, 7 months ago
What book on AI do you suggest? I've found these on Amazon: A First Course in Fuzzy Logic Foundations of Genetic Programming Genetic Programming : An Introduction I would like a book which explains fundamentals of Artificial Inteligence with code examples.Most of them provide just theory, I need something to work with. I know there are many kinds of AI (genetic programming, neural nets, fuzzy logic...) but what do you suggest?
Advertisement
Programming Game AI by Example by Mat Buckland. I bought it this summer and had no experience in AI but have learnd a lot.
Casual game dev www.apgames.se
Yes, I have that one on my list but I was thinking more about general AI, not game related.
There's a free book by Mark Watson "Java AI" somewhere on the 'net, it's worth taking a peek in it even if you don't use Java. He covers a good amount of AI and it is practical.

He also has a Lisp book, it is also free. They are pretty decent and have code.
"It's such a useful tool for living in the city!"
Thanks.I'll check out those e-books.
this will probably suit you as an overview:

AI Application Programming, Tim Jones

It has loads of code snippets and is very concise and to the point.
By the way, this is a forum for discussion of game related AI (or it was anyway; Seems to have lost its focus in the last few months). If you want info on AI in general then perhaps somewhere else would be a more appropriate place to ask questions.

www.generation5.org used to have a good general AI forum
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
By the way, this is a forum for discussion of game related AI (or it was anyway; Seems to have lost its focus in the last few months). If you want info on AI in general then perhaps somewhere else would be a more appropriate place to ask questions.

www.generation5.org used to have a good general AI forum

The forum description states that the forum is for "All aspects of AI programming and theory". I hardly think the question can be considered off-topic.

bsdpowa: you can also have a look through the list of books on this website.

-Josh

--www.physicaluncertainty.com
--linkedin
--irc.freenode.net#gdnet

The standard text used in most university intro AI classes is Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach by Russell and Norvig. I teach AI at my university and it is the book I use, so I can vouch for its quality. If you go to the authors' web site (http://aima.cs.berkeley.edu/) they have many code samples tied in with the book.
Quote:Original post by Tiberius
The standard text used in most university intro AI classes is Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach by Russell and Norvig. I teach AI at my university and it is the book I use, so I can vouch for its quality. If you go to the authors' web site (http://aima.cs.berkeley.edu/) they have many code samples tied in with the book.

Seconded. I used to tutor A.I. using this book, and I think it's one of the best. It covers a good breadth of the field.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement