• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
programering

Datatype description

This topic is 4851 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I tried to find out about LRESULT what it was used for, I searched on google and on msdn with: "LRESULT description", "LRESULT definition" and "LRESULT spec" but I didn't found what I was looking for. Maybe you know what it's for? And the same as HRESULT what that for? Does the L stand for Low and H stand for High? Thanks!!!

Advertisement
I could be totally wrong on this but I think LRESULT is short for 'Long Result' while HRESULT is short for 'Handle Result'.

Don't quote me on that lol, I'm probably totally wrong!!

arm.

It's a form of Hungarian Notation (and incidentally a related type shows up one of Hungarian Notation's greatest weaknesses). LRESULT is RESULT of type long. HRESULT as noted is a RESULT of type HANDLE. The related type is WPARAM from WndProc. This stands for PARAM of type WORD, but when Microsoft updated WndProc from 16-bit to 32-bit they failed to correctly rename WPARAM to DWPARAM (for PARAM of type DOUBLEWORD).

Enigma

Patience, young padawan. [wink]
Handles are identifiers for internal data structures, which are not meant to be exposed. HANDLES may be type-casted pointers, indices into internal tables, or anything else. Their exact value is of no use for the outside world (i.e. your program).

I will gather information of everything I get to know, and make the ultimate/complete documentation of the most all kinds of knowledge.
That's what I'm planning to do on my site, explain explicit or implicit, which one it is?
I am gonna make docs that explains pure. That will be my contribution.
That's what I would appreciate when I was in lack of information i needed.
It will be the ultimate information where everyone will get to understand it.
Just if I knew HTML codes better.

EDIT: Here's the URL:
http://www.geocities.com/programering/english/technical/techinfo.html
There not much now, but I will add more articles and so with time.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!