• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
RPTD

Is there a standard Tangent-Space?

This topic is 4797 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

came across this problem trying to get normal mapping to work using my normal map generator to create a normal map from a hi-res onto a low-res mesh. the generation process works well but there are certain problems. for example if i have the legs of my dragon model then the tangents of those faces are not equal to the tangents of the body and blending them over (like i found it in tutorials) ends up with wrong situations (including 0-size tangents during interpolation). now i figured out that i will most probably not get around calculating a set of shared and not-shared tangents using the uv-coordinates from my mesh using an algorithme. this algo should not be that difficult (finding adjanctant faces in the texture) but before i head into this one i would like to inform myself if there is something like a standard tangent-space algorithme for such a case. i don't want to add an algo to my normal-map generator and then it is not really usefull for people. so far i did not find an algorithme in tutorials that has been able to tackle this problem of non-aligned tangents on faces touching each other but beeing separated in the uv-texture. ( what i mean with standard tangent-space is especially the way how you calculate the tangents for each face corner, not the theory behind tangent-space itself, that i have understood )

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!