• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
xxx_shinobi

[.net] .NET and TELNET ?

This topic is 4817 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. I want to have an access to telnet protocol with .NET and C#. Cant find anything in MSDN. There is Jscape namespace for .NET with Telnet class but it cost money ;( Any ideas ?

Advertisement
telnet is practically a straight-through protocol, so it isn't too hard to implement yourself. http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc854.html describes the protocol. Or if you want something to base your code from, search for an open source telnet client in another language you know. A google search for "GPL telnet client" should give you a couple good programs to base your code from.

Now, what service will your telnet client be connecting TO? "telnet" is often used as a synonym for "bidirectional ASCII TCP stream", when it technically refers to a protocol which can be much more complex.

I just want to write a program that every 5 minutes will automatically make connection:

telnet 123.45.678.101
username: xxx
password: xxx

I'm connected to the internet trough university proxy server. This server disconnects my pc from the internet every 10 minutes or so. So I want to write a program that will automatically reconnect my pc every 5 minutes.

[Edited by - xxx_shinobi on September 3, 2005 12:21:03 AM]

You're using telnet to login to a remote server? You do reallize that you are essentially broadcasting your password into the open, right? Telnet does not encrypt anything, not even passwords, it just sends it as plain text. An alternative would be SSH if SSH is available on the server.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!