• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
FenixRoA

2D in D3D... C# or VB .Net

This topic is 4793 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Alright. So as soon as you saw the subject heading you thought "Stupid newb... there's a million articles on programming 2D in D3D" So let's get the facts straight, you're right on both counts, A) I am pretty newb when it comes to DirectX programming. B) there are a TON of articles, but the ones for us stupid newbs are few and far apart or else posted really long ago and now, no support can be found. I understand there are 2 general methods for writing a 2D program in D3D. The first is to use textured quads, and the other is to use the built-in sprite class. I would prefer examples of the first, as I understand that this gives me more flexibility. If you want to argue the point that sprites are better, please give me the pros and cons on both sides. I have looked from article to article, and I have managed to initialize my D3D engine, although not particularly for 2D programming. So, if anyone could supply me with: A) a start-to-finish tutorial on how to get a 2D DX3D (v. 9 preferred) engine initialized and ready-to-go B) a set of tutorials, which will teach me the basics of DX3D, that you personally believe is required before getting into 2D DX3D -OR- C) a fully functional code-example in either C#(preferred) or VB .Net There is a TON of C++ code out there, and I know it, and alot of people say that converting from C++ to C# is not a major step, unfortunately I don't know ANYTHING about C++ and I find C++ code as readable as japanese to the ancient greek. I would like to thank all for your time and consideration FenixRoA --Already missing tomorrow's yesterday [Edited by - FenixRoA on September 2, 2005 8:17:58 PM]

Advertisement
Read managed directX kickstart. It's great for programming Direct3D in C#. I'm creating a kind of powerpoint for my company and they wanted it in C#. I almost have everything and it's very simple to create in C# because 2D is very simple.

Greetz,

Cloudius

Good news:

I have an EXCELLENT article on this Right here

Bad news:

It's written in C++, I hope that you can port to C#. I would port it myself, but I am not fluent in C# or VB anymore :( I use pure C.

I have been working on 2d in 3d for a while now, but only using the sprite classes. You can read about my work on my blog (where I have started working on a 2d scroller using managed code "Phoenix"). Also on Inner Realm we have several people activly working on 2d in a 3d enviroment. Another optio yu might want is to have a look at flatredball's 2d engine.

Inner Realm - Managed DirectX and Game Programming Resources
Mykre - Blog
MSDN Forums - Windows Game Development
The ZBuffer
FlatredBall - 2.5d Graphics/Game Engine using C# and Managed DirectX (9.0c)

Wow, I just got back in, and checked this expecting one or two flames to be started about how much material is available on this topic, but once again the GameDev society has shown me it's true colors and I am most impressed.

I have read through your replies, however I have yet to check out any of the materials you offered. I'm going to start going through them now. I'll let those of you who are interested know which article(s) helped me the most and why I thought it was really helpful to my personal needs.

Thanks again for the massive and positive response,
GameDev Forever,
FenixRoA

--I already miss yesterday's tomorrow

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!