(C#) Making custom attributes required at compile-time

Started by
4 comments, last by Enigma 18 years, 7 months ago
Hi, I'd like to make a custom attribute required at compile-time basically it is a custom attribute that sits on a class. I have an abstract class called ScreenControl, and I want every subclass of ScreenControl to have to provide this custom attribute on its class definition. My current solution only works at run-time - which is to have an assertation that 'this.getType()' provides the desired custom attribute in the ScreenControl constructor. Is there a way to make it a compile-time error(/warning) not to provide the custom attribute on types deriving from my class? and at compile time?
Advertisement
No, you don't have that kind of control. Those kinds of requirements are enforced by the compiler or the runtime, neither of which you can modify.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Quote:Original post by Timberl
I have an abstract class called ScreenControl, and I want every subclass of ScreenControl to have to provide this custom attribute on its class definition.

As Arild said, there's no way to enforce a "contract" for attributes. But if you want every subclass of ScreenControl to provide a certain functionality, that's what virtual methods are for. You don't need to use attributes.
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}
Quote:Original post by kSquared
Quote:Original post by Timberl
I have an abstract class called ScreenControl, and I want every subclass of ScreenControl to have to provide this custom attribute on its class definition.

As Arild said, there's no way to enforce a "contract" for attributes. But if you want every subclass of ScreenControl to provide a certain functionality, that's what virtual methods are for. You don't need to use attributes.

But I really need it available from the class without an instance

if I make it static then I can't have it in the superclass (at least I cant override it in subclasses) attributes seemed the most logical way of doing it

You could make a separate application that checks (using reflection) whether all necessary attributes are present and have it called as a post-build step.
I'm not a C# person, but would the C# equivalent of the following C++ do what you require?:
class Base{	public:		Base(CustomAttribute & customAttribute)		{			if (!customAttribute_)			{				customAttribute_ = &customAttribute;			}		}		// pure virtual member functions	protected:		static CustomAttribute * customAttribute_;};CustomAttribute Base::customAttribute_ = null;class Derived{	public:		Derived()			:			Base(derivedCustomAttribute_)		{		}	private:		static CustomAttribute derivedCustomAttribute_;};

Enigma

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement