• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
halo360

recomendation needed, newbie questions also

This topic is 4791 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ok im a first time programer. well in this kind of programing, i used and still do html. but i need a recomendation between these two, i need to know which i should start out with, c++ or c#. and what site or place can i find out about the differances between the two? im a newbie so try not to flame please. thank you.

Advertisement
oh ya, and i have both. i downloaded visual c++ express edition beta 2 from microsoft and visual c# express edition beta 2 from the same place.

actually i couldn't really find what i was looking for there. i just really need a recomendation. c++ or c#, i couldn't find anything in those areas.

Whether you choose C++ or C# isn't really our call. I would suggest you look them over and see which one you find easier to understand. In the end, it doesn't matter what we think. If you are more comfortable with C#, then use it. If you prefer C++, use that. They are both just fine for game programming. You might get a number of arguments about performance, etc., but that doesn't matter. Use what you like and get on with life!

Either one will do you fine. C# may be a bit easier, but you will want to learn both in the future (perhaps after you learn the first). Don't worry about the language, just get coding.

Ah, another of the standard questions.

The short answer is, it doesn't make a scrap of difference.
Of course, beginners are always extremely focused on this question, because when you're just deciding to learn programming, it's the one question you're really aware of.
But honestly, it doesn't make a difference in the long run. (Discovering that is a gradual process though. And you will no doubt get a lot of "almost-beginners" in this thread, people who have started learning one language or the other, and then tell you that hey, it's by far the superior choice.

But the veterans are all going to tell you the same story. What you need to learn, isn't C++ or C#, it's programming. You can learn that through both languages, and once you've mastered that, you can pick up new languages in a day or two. (In the case of C# and C++, the similarity is so great you could probably do it in an hour or two)

C# is a lot easier to use and get started with, so of the two you mentioned, I'd suggest that. Yes, C++ is currently the "industry standard", but who cares about that? Read my above paragraph. What I think you need, is simply a language that allows you to get programming, because that's the hardest part to learn. The language-specific features and syntax is just the icing on the cake.

So yes, some people will tell you to start with C++ because that's the most challenging, and you need to learn it sooner or later. And I'll say no, it's not the most challenging. It's a piece of cake compared to actually learning to program. So don't let that argument sway you.

But in the end, it doesn't really matter. Use what you like. Maybe take a look at both and see what you prefer.
I know a lot of seasoned programmers will tell you to start with Python as well. The reasoning is the same. It allows you to work on programming, rather than wrestling with ultimately pointless language quirks.
I don't have much experience with Python, but from what I know, it's definitely worth considering too.

But the bottom line is still, don't make a big deal out of it. There's no wrong choice.

It doesn't matter. Try one at random. If you like it keep going. If not try the other. If you think it is harder than the first go back to the first. Or learn all of one then learn all of the other. And learn more languages. This isn't like marriage where you have to live with the same thing for the rest of your life, it's more like mormonism and you can have as many languages as you can handle. Yay for programming polygamy, the more the merrier!

ok thank you everyone:) i needed the help badly. so i guess ill just start out with c#, then mabye c++, but thanks a ton everyone

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!