• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Problem with std:map

This topic is 4616 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to insert an element into a std:map and I'm getting a crash. Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong? I've been looking at it for a few hours and I'm no closer to solving it (google isnt much help either.)

LONG idWorkflow = 1;
QUEUES Queue;

m_Workflow.insert(WORKFLOW::value_type(idWorkflow, Queue));

The insert blows up. Here is my entire code:

// This holds the Queues
typedef map<LONG, LONG> QUEUE; /* idQueue, QUEUEINFO */
typedef struct
{
  QUEUE Queue;
} QUEUES;

// This holds X number of Queues in workflows.
typedef map<LONG, QUEUES> WORKFLOW; /* idWorkflow, QUEUES */

//----------------------------------------

WORKFLOW    m_Workflow;
LONG        idWorkflow = 1;
QUEUES      Queue;

I also tried to remove the struct QUEUES and use QUEUE directly but that didn't help much at all either. Any ideas?

Advertisement
Are you putting stuff into the map in a constructor of an object thats declared as a static object? If this is the case your object might be getting constructed and trying to add to a map that hasn't been constructed yet.

#include <map>
using std::map;

// This holds the Queues
typedef map<long, long> QUEUE; /* idQueue, QUEUEINFO */
typedef struct
{
QUEUE Queue;
} QUEUES;

// This holds X number of Queues in workflows.
typedef map<long, QUEUES> WORKFLOW; /* idWorkflow, QUEUES */

//----------------------------------------

int main( int argc, char* argv[] )
{
WORKFLOW m_Workflow;
long idWorkflow = 1;
QUEUES Queue;

return 0;
}

That does not crash for me at all, so you have a logical error in your program elsewhere.

I just found out if I declare WORKFLOW variable local to where I do the insert it doesn't crash, but if I make it global or a private member of the class then it does.

That's not a C++ exception. It means you have a NULL pointer somewhere. Guessing from the 4 bytes offset, you are probably accessing the second member of a structure or second element of an array through a pointer, and the first is an int or similar-sized variable. I strongly doubt it is related to your map insertion.

You might also have an array overrun on a variable that precedes the map and are corrupting the map's internal data (e.g. overwriting it with zeroes).

Ok I got it to work by moving the initializing function into the class constructor rather than calling it during the ATL initializing section. There must be a conflict with ATL somehow, or the ATL function I'm initializing from.

Thanks for the help guys. I get it straighened up from here. I thought I was using STL incorrectly.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement