SDL is going slooooow....

Started by
7 comments, last by daerid 18 years, 7 months ago
I keep having this problem when I develop applications using SDL. They work just dandy on my development computer (which is nothing special), but when I put them on another computer, they go really slowly, like to the point of the games being unplayable. I put SDL.dll in the executable's directory. They don't even need to install anything to play. Also, the game is an Othello/Reversi clone, so it isn't like a realtime game that needs a high-performance machine. This happens on ANY computer that I haven't developed on with SDL. Has anyone had a problem like this? If so, how did you solve it? Thanks a million!
my siteGenius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration
Advertisement
I've never had problems like that. You are distributing a release build right?
OK. I keep seeing this release build stuff, and I really don't have any idea what the difference is between a release version and a development version, or whatever. I don't know how to choose which version to build, so I would have to say: I don't know, but probably not =)

The debug build has all the debugging symbols built into the .exe file, so it is noticably larger then the release one. However, the kicker is, that no optimizations are done in a debug build. Now, there might be the odd exception to that, but the bottom line is, a debug build should never be used as basis for a speed test, because there is a load of extra baggage that will be optimized away in a release build.
Free speech for the living, dead men tell no tales,Your laughing finger will never point again...Omerta!Sing for me now!
Look at the top bar in your IDE, you should see either Debug or Release somehwere up there. When you get ready to distribute, you use the Release configuration. When you develop you use the Debug configuration. Here's a quick read on this matter.
Quote:Original post by Drew_Benton
Look at the top bar in your IDE, you should see either Debug or Release somehwere up there. When you get ready to distribute, you use the Release configuration. When you develop you use the Debug configuration. Here's a quick read on this matter.

At least in my MSVC 6, the bar isn't there automatically, you have to put it there yourself. Just a small heads-up.
Free speech for the living, dead men tell no tales,Your laughing finger will never point again...Omerta!Sing for me now!
Quote:Original post by SirLuthor
At least in my MSVC 6, the bar isn't there automatically, you have to put it there yourself. Just a small heads-up.

Ahh, yea, that's right thanks. I haven't bothered to reinstall my VS6 [wink].
OK. So just enable all the optimization options? That's fine - I know how to do that. I'm just wondering why it's been running so much faster on my comp than anyone else's. If you think this'll solve the problem, great. I'll let you know.
One thing to remember is that by default, SDL doesn't use hardware accelerated features. Unless you're using OpenGL or using certain flags to enable Hardware acceleration, SDL will utilize it's own code to manage things like surfaces and whatnot.

If the other user's computer has a crappy 2D graphics card, that can slow things down. You also might want to check the DirectX versions and make sure they're comparable.
daerid@gmail.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement