• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Ozrinaut

[web] PHP vs ASP

This topic is 4647 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
asp as we use windows servers at work. I know php runs on it but try and convince a corp thats MS happy otherwise :P

not moved to .NET at work yet so its old asp.

I like both tbh.

You can't compare them. PHP is a language, ASP is not. You can use VBScript with ASP, or you can use some other language. If you're using ASP.NET, you could use C# or any other .NET language, as far as I know.

As for myself, I use PHP because it's easy and free to set up a WAMP server.

John B

As JohnBSmall has pointed out, you can't compare the two as a language. That is componded by the fact that ASP is all but obsolete. ASP.NET is the platform you want to compare it to and you still run into the "not a language" problem, which has been further compounded by how .NET allows seamless language interpolarity - you can write some of your pages library code in C#, some in Managed C++, use them both seamlessly in a VB.NET page that sends form data to a L# (Lisp.NET) page, and then have a backend that can easily share data and classes with the website written in J#. If you really want to get mean, you could even write your ASP.NET pages in Phalanger, aka "PHP.NET" (as an added insult, PHP code runs faster on ASP.NET using Phalanger, as it is fully binary compiled and optimized to the CPU and platform by .NET).

At my work we are currently running PHP on windows servers. This is only temporary while we develop everything in ASP.Net.

PHP was my choice hands down for a long time. I never considered ASP. But ASP.Net caught my attention and I was happy that we were making the switch to .net at work.

Coming from a little Perl, but mostly just PHP background the transition to C# was a little steep. But once everything got rolling it wasn't too bad. Now I like ASP.net much better than I did PHP.

Just my opinoin. :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!