Sign in to follow this  

[web] Read/Write .txt

This topic is 4517 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am about finished writing a little game in javascript. Is there anyway that I can write the scores to a txt file and read scores back with javascript? I would only need commands like these: Doc = OpenDocument(name.txt) ReadDocument(Doc, CharToRead) WriteDocument(Doc, "String") CloseDocument(Doc) If not...what other language could read and write such variables to a txt file? And what are the commands? (Without getting into server side scripting. I am renting a domain, not a server.) Thank you ~Cent

Well you have to have a server, thats where the files are, and the server serves them up..., Anyways, the other ones I know of are server side, and they are PHP ASP and ColdFusion.

Site-Building Tools
Supports CGI Scripts: Perl, Python, PHP3, PHP4, PHP5

Would that let me do it with PHP? Or are CGI scripts different from what I need? And if it will do so, can you point me to the commands to open/close/read/write? I can't seem to find them lieing in any tutorial.
(would rather not pay 70$/month for a server)

~Cent

I don't know javascript very well but I imagine that it would pose a security risk if you could do that hehe.

http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_functions2.asp

Try that page if you want to use PHP to write files, but I don't know how you would incorporate it into your javascript game. Maybe have a submit score button or something that takes them to the next page, but then you'd have to make it really secure.

Sign in to follow this