• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
helix

Another copyright question

This topic is 4705 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

We use a pretty powerful UI system that I'm really familiar with at work. I am wondering about the legalities of using it for personal projects including demos to send to prospective employers. I can compile it to a lib to hide the source code, but I'll still have to have the headers included. Would that be acceptable for non-commercial use?

Advertisement
Where did the system come from? Did your company create it or license it?

If your company created it you need to ask permission to use the company's intellectual property in your personal project - the answer will likely be no. If your company licensed it from somewhere else you'll need to pay for a license to use it, unless it is open source or has some form of free for noncommercial use clause in the licnse.

A couple of my coworkers wrote it over the course of a few games and it's becoming the standard to use. Is there any way to completely mask something like that from my project? For example, some way to use it without the headers? I know this is a long shot... :)

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by helix
A couple of my coworkers wrote it over the course of a few games and it's becoming the standard to use. Is there any way to completely mask something like that from my project? For example, some way to use it without the headers? I know this is a long shot... :)

Why would you have to include the headers? If you're giving out a binary, then the headers are irrelevant. If you're also passing along your source code, there's no need to include the headers unless you want them to be able to compile it.

Anyway, if you don't want to use the headers, you can just provide all the prototypes, etc. yourself. You'll still need to get a license to use the library.

As for your coworkers writing it, who has the rights to it? That is, who has the right to license it to you? Talk to them, see if you can work out some sort of license agreement. However, this seems unlikely (especially once you tell your them why you want it).

Well, the idea is that if I give it to someone, I'd want them to be able to compile it. Even if I didn't send any of the UI source/headers, the usage would still be visible in my game code. I guess I'd have to only send select files to them with the binaries.

And my coworkers wrote it on company time for the company's use. Each file has a copyright with my company's name on it.

I figured it was a long shot but I had to explore that option...

It sounds like the code belongs to your current company then. You would need to get their permission to use it outside your company. If you are going to give competitors access to the library, then I doubt they will let you use it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!