• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
_code_fly

The creative process

This topic is 4821 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Do programmers usually have the chance to write the engines for the game? I mean that the program might take several layers such as:- Hardware Interface ( drivers etc ) Software Library ( DirectX, OpenGL ) Engine Level (characters, animation, physics and AI ) The Game (game specific features such as the story, pickup types, the plot etc) Is this the correct idea? I find that the middleware (Engine) level is not a part of the creative process, and the code never involves any creativity. Is this true?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Depends on the size of your team really...

If you've only got one programmer than yeah, he'd do most of the programming on most of those levels. If you've got 5 programmers he'd only be doing a part of one of those levels. It all really depends on team size.

Guest Anonymous Poster
It also matters what you call creativity. I find that all code that I write involves some level of creativity, even the mundane utility stuff. I have never been given a design to implement that was so fleshed out that I didn't have to make some stuff up as I went along.

In many game companies, it is rare that the programmers can direct the flow of how the game plays. That is the job of the designers.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!