• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
johnnyBravo

[web] Any info on setting up a ASP .net 2002 server?

This topic is 4645 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I want to start hosting asp .net 2002 websites on windows xp. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a tutorial that explains the steps in doing this, or if you have done it before and could give me a list of things to do. Thanks alot.

Advertisement
You don't need to install IIS separately - in fact you can't.

On XP pro, you can install IIS through "Windows Setup" (Control panel add/remove software -> windows setup)

It's a braindamaged version though on XP pro, so that they can sell you Windows Server - and should only be used for development (actually even that is a bit of a bad idea because there is no Windows XP server).

Mark

You just do. It runs as a service. Consult the documentation for more information. Use the IIS manager tool under Administrative Tools to configure it.

Mark

Ah right, well now i've it accessing a website, but i don't see any options for it to run the aspx .net pages. Only asp and vbscript. It just shows a white page so far or the source depending on the settings.

Also I'm not able to access the websites hosted by iss outside my local network.
I have my router setup properly for outside access so I am pretty sure that isn't the problem.

I've got J2EE server working ok through port 8080 and I've also allowed port 80 through which the ISS is running on.

So I'm guessing there must be some kind of setting with the iss options to allow internet access?

Thanks alot

Quote:
Original post by johnnyBravo
Ah right, well now i've it accessing a website, but i don't see any options for it to run the aspx .net pages.

When you install the .NET framework on a box with IIS installed, ASPNET will automatically be enabled.

If for some reason you did it in the opposite order, you can install aspnet by using the "aspnet_regiis" command (Read the documentation for it).

In Windows server 2003, you must also enable it in "Web service extensions", but I'm not sure if this exists in Windows XP.

There are no options specifically for ASPNET, which is controlled by other parameters - mostly in web.config and machine.config

Quote:

Also I'm not able to access the websites hosted by iss outside my local network.
I have my router setup properly for outside access so I am pretty sure that isn't the problem.

I take it that you or your ISP do not run any firewalls or transparent proxies which break this setup; sounds like a network problem.

Talk to your ISP if it becomes a problem - I'm sure they'll be able to advise you.

Quote:

So I'm guessing there must be some kind of setting with the iss options to allow internet access?

No. IIS allows access from anywhere by default. Obviously your web site binding settings affect what interface it listens on, but if you have only one interface, then it will presumably using that (assuming you haven't bound it to localhost only).

Sounds like a network issue - talk to your network admin or ISP.

Mark

I used the aspnet_regiis -i, and it now works fine.

thanks alot markr.

..I still haven't solved the accessing the website outside my local network, but i'm sure its only something silly that i haven't done.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!