D3DX DLL home needed

Started by
15 comments, last by Trip99 18 years, 7 months ago
hey trip99; i visit your site frequently and was thinking the same thing (about you maybe having bandwidth issues), i think this is a great idea that you get other people to help you out!

i'll definately be able to help with hosting when i get my site up and running, though it might be a month or two;

i dunno, do we need to host all the files, can't the user just get the most recent dll and be ok?
Advertisement
Looks like a few mirrors are up and running, which probably solves most of the problem...

But as another suggestion - BitTorrent (or similar) technologies could REALLY help out here. Whilst the BT network, as another P2P setup, gets a bit of a hammering for it's illegal usage it is a pretty robust piece of technology.

From my limited understanding of the system it would require one (or more) people with permanent connections and/or servers to keep the file alive and provide links to it (a simple .torrent file) and then the downloaders themselves would become seeds (or partial seeds).

The only downside to this that I can see is that people require a BT client to get the files...

Cheers,
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Hi, thanks Coder - I will add some links. Justin: unfortunately all of the files are needed. The main reason for providing these is not just to be helpful :) but also so that we can publish games, apps, demos etc. without having to include a large DirectX redistributable. On your download page you can just point someone to one of these sources. We can rely on end users having DirectX9.0c but not any of the dlls.
------------------------See my games programming site at: www.toymaker.info
Do you need my site up still? I'm clearing off space on my server and noticed there isn't a link to my site, so I don't know if I should clear it off or not.
Hi, Coder has made them available on NeXe which has masses of bandwidth so I thought best to pass most people on to that page. Thanks though to you and all the others who offered to help me out - much appreciated.
Forgive me if this is a really stupid question, but is there some good reason why these files aren't available as a download from microsoft.com?

It is a good question and one I have asked Microsoft. I think they want us to provide the full DirectX redistributable with our apps. and this is no problem if you are creating CD software. The problem comes when you want to make your app. available for download and full redistributable adds a lot to the download size.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement