Lightmap + base texture problem

Started by
3 comments, last by head_hunter 18 years, 7 months ago
Hi everyone. I have implemented a lightmapper and I face the following problem : The dark areas of the lightmaps (the ones which receive no light and are set to the ambient light intensity), when combined with the base texture, produce a final result which is too dark to see. I have tried setting the ambient light intensity to a very high value (140, 140, 140) which appears as bright grey on the bare lightmaps but the result is still too dark. Do you have any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong? I am using the OpenGL API. Thanks.
Advertisement
Sounds like your shadowmap is too dark. Brighten it up a bit.

GDNet+. It's only $5 a month. You know you want it.

um... this kind of reminds me of texture splatting. When your blending factors dont add up to one, you get very dark terrain (where this is a common application where texture splatting is performed). There is a texture splatting article on gamedev, and this is briefly mentioned.
Are you sure that the light map and the base color map are the only things affecting the output data? You have turned off GL_LIGHTING? The first texture env mode is REPLACE and the second is MODULATE?

When used with light mapping, the color maps should typically be full-bright, which (inside Photoshop) will look WAY too bright. Make sure you brighten your color maps as much as possible.

Another thing you can try is something like a MODULATE2X blend mode; there's some extensions that let you do that.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Quote:Original post by hplus0603
Are you sure that the light map and the base color map are the only things affecting the output data? You have turned off GL_LIGHTING? The first texture env mode is REPLACE and the second is MODULATE?

When used with light mapping, the color maps should typically be full-bright, which (inside Photoshop) will look WAY too bright. Make sure you brighten your color maps as much as possible.

Another thing you can try is something like a MODULATE2X blend mode; there's some extensions that let you do that.

What do you mean by "first" and "second" texture? Are you referring to the textures in the GL_TEXTURE0_ARB and GL_TEXTURE1_ARB channels?

Secondly, what do you mean by color maps?

Thanks for your input so far!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement