• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Division of Complex Numbers with 2 Conjugates

This topic is 4557 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

2i/2-i - 4i/1-2i = R/-5 Maybe I am just seeing this wrong but it is quite apparent that there are 2 conjugates, how em I to remove the imaginary divisors and solve for R? I know R = -6 given the answer key. I cannot however get to that point myself.

Advertisement
When you have a complex divisor, there is a simple way to eliminate imaginary parts in divisor by multiplying both upper and lower parts by conjugate complex number. In this example, both divisors will be 5 ( (2-i)(2+i) = (1-2i)(1+2i) = 5)
E.g. (2i(2+i))/(4+1) - (4i(1+2i))/(1+4) = R/-5
E.g. (4i-2-4i+8)/5 = R/-5
E.g. -6 = R

Ah, thank you very much.
So multiplying each seperatly by the conjugate does not disturb the equality.
I figured to eliminate one divisor by using the conjugate would mean I would have to multiply the whole equation by the conjugate, thus causing some very odd results.

Guest Anonymous Poster
If the conjugate of the complex denominator is C, you're multiplying the fraction by C/C. This will always be 1. Multiplying a number by 1 results in that same number. It's a trick to write the same number in a different way that doesn't have imaginary numbers in the denominator.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement