3D Tree Models...There is a site somewhere...

Started by
4 comments, last by tiles 18 years, 7 months ago
I can remember seeing a site a while back which has 3D models of trees I believe? I am a pretty poor 3D modeller, can't seem to get trees right, and I am wanting to throw a few trees into my terrain engine, just to see what its like. Does anyone know of this site? X-trees or something I think it was called, i've tried googling, and looking through the topics on this board, but to no avail. Even pointing me to a tutorial on modelling trees would be great! Thanks
Adventures of a Pro & Hobby Games Programmer - http://neilo-gd.blogspot.com/Twitter - http://twitter.com/neilogd
Advertisement
There are tree generators that you can use... I'm not sure if any are better than the others because I've never used any of them.

Google'll give you all of the answers. :)
google SpeedTreeRT

Or were you thinking about something free? Cos I don't know about anything like that. Maybe one of the BraveTree art packs on GarageGames?
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
I would keep my hands away from the available freeware tree makers. They create High Poly trees. And it needs a while until you have figured out which button does what. I was always faster to model it by my own. And it also looked much better in my own way ...

Short tutorial of one quick way how to create a high poly tree without a tree making software:

The key is to model from small to big.

Step 1: Create a leaf. Add texture to it. Copy it, rotate it, glue together. Copy it, rotate it, glue together ... A few steps and you should have a bunch of leafes. Create a few variations.

Step 2: Create a small branch. Create a cylinder with a few segments. Add texture to it. Scale it. Move the segments a bit around to get some irregularity.

Step 3: glue the bunches of leafes onto the branch. Make a few variations of this branch.

Step 4: Create a bigger branch. Create a cylinder with a few segments. Add texture to it. Scale it. Move the segments a bit around to get some irregularity.

Step 5: Glue the smaller branches onto the bigger branch. Make 3 variations of this bigger branch.

Step 6: Create a trunk. Create a cylinder with a few segments. Add texture to it. Scale it. Move the segments a bit around to get some irregularity.

Step 7: Pick the big branches, and place them onto the trunk.

Done.

A bit practice, and you should be able to create your own trees in this way. Beware, i always ended between 100000 and 200000 polys in this way. But a tree making software does the same.

Well, you want to throw it in your game. Which means low poly. The lowest poly is to map a picture of a tree onto a polygon. No modeling effort involved. You just need a picture of a tree ... Google maybe ?

Next higher level is to work with a trunk and some spheres that contains leaf texture. A trunk is simple. Play around a bit, and i am sure you will create an useful trunk with branches. Nothing else than a few cylinders with segments. The spheres for the leafes, well, hard stuff. You have to make it round ... i have a button in my app that creates a sphere primitive in one mouseclick :D

Also here the mainproblem isn´t the modeling, but the texture. And mapping the leaf texture onto the sphere. Spherical mapping and a leaftexture in topview is the key here.
tilesets games spriteshttp://www.reinerstileset.de
OMG!!! don't listen to the aboves guy's advice, his way will work good for high poly models but if you want low poly you should use alpha maps, that is textures that have an alpha channel to show part of the texture and make the other parts invisible. create a texture with a group of leaves, then delte the background (everything but the leaves) and then if you're on photoshop delete the background layer and what you have left is checkered design behind the leaves, this checkered design means that that part won't show up in the game engine. ofcourse you have to tell your game engine soemhow that the texture is using an alpha map. basically in 3ds max or whatever modeling program you're using just make a plane, apply the texture to it, then make about 20 planes and spread them around the tree. what this technique does is it allows you have have around 200 leaves and and only have the leaves themselves to be around 20 polys. now if you have to have the normals facing bothways so the leaves don't disappear depending on your locatioon you cna simple just make the leaves out of a box and delete the sides since youwon't see them anyway. goodluck, with a little practice you'll be making trees like a pro. this is how most major games do thier trees such as far cry, morrowind, and quite a few others. this is how i did a few of my simple trees here, although you can produce better results with more time, my trees in this pic were rushed;
http://img163.imageshack.us/my.php?image=demopic6yn.jpg
OMG? Heh, he was asking for a treemaker and a tutorial ;)

And i have pointed that my way is high poly, and that he better use low poly for his game.

But he could nevertheless render the high poly tree to bitmap, and use it as a texture for his low poly trees in his game then. So not this worthless at all. Combine it with your short tutorial how to create alphachannel textures, and he has his working trees :)
tilesets games spriteshttp://www.reinerstileset.de

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement